Piezoelectric energy recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piezoelectric energy recovery

Has anyone tried the recover energy from vibration?

I am collecting the igniters from piezoelectric cigarette lighters and plan to sandwich them in rubber to use them as engine mounts. This way I should be able to recover energy from the vibration of an internal combustion engine.

Just a thought.

you can make them yourself. large crystals at that. I am going to try in the near future. Youtube makemagazines piezoelectric crystals. setails it step by step. Might have some real value to the forum

Comment

A very interesting but overlooked property of piezo crystals is their radical change in conductivity when stressed (not just their energy generation).

Comment

Interesting that this thread has come up, and very novel idea by Mbrownn – should work. I was recently looking over the construction of crystal radios and their use of high impendence earphones. I thought that the earphones used very fine wire coils, but apparently not so, they use the piezo electric effect, so for very small current we get quite a large mechanical output. I read that putting a piezo ear phone into a horn will enable the sound to be heard across a room, so wonder if that energy from a horn(s) could be converted from a sound wave(s) to an electrical impulse?

Regards
        John

Comment

A few years ago i mounted 20 piezo discs around the base of a small motor, (piezos mounted upright), i soldered a "T" lever counderweighted on one side to the tops of each piezo, the motor flywheel had 8 small magnets, so the rotation would cause the piezo disks to flex upon passing a magnet.
          although it didnt run by itself, the concept did yeild some mA`s....the faster it ran the worse the power out was :/ (less vibration).

I`ve often thought about a cannister filled with rochelle salt, and a length of wire running through the centre..tied to the top of a tree and the bottom to the ground with abit of tension, the trees swaying motion causing the wire to stress the salts via friction.

Comment

I think piezoelectric materials have the highest Q factor known.

They are starting to use peizo electric transformers in electronic devices now, and I think most laptop cold cathode flourescent backlighting is driven with them.

They work by resonating a crystal at one end (through capacitive terminals) and having an output electrode placed at the location of a standing wave on the crystal. Some are made to work in transverse mode, while others work in longitudinal!

Piezo Transformer

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf a nice pdf about different running modes/geometries of piezoelecric transformers.

If you were to use one of these rather than a piezo with just 2 electrodes, you could input your power into a resonant system, not just a transducer.

Comment

Does anyone know how to find the major axes of electrical polarization in a Quartz or Rochelle Salt monocrystal?

This experiment is just too crude....
              Piezoelectric Crystals - Rochelle Salt Crystal 1

Comment

As an engineer I am questioning if there are more instances of overunity. For example it is generally accepted that with an internal combustion engine they are around 30 t0 40% efficient with most of the energy being lost in heat.

The question I have is when was it last measured and did they measure all the losses like the heat sound and vibration? I'm not saying that an internal combustion engine has a cop of greater than 1 but I am saying that we should always question our beliefs about how things work and experimentally test it.

Now we take our diesel generator and attach a sterling engine to the heat output, use piezoelectric mountings and we will dramatically improve efficiency.

The mechanical vibration on a diesel engine is substantial.

Just a thought

Comment

Without any comprehensible documentation on how to determine the polarization characteristics of a piezoelectric crystal under mechanical stress, it may be necessary to try the setup in the attached image...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Shanjaq; 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

This thing is like a wind generator, but it uses a belt which vibrates instead of a turbine/blades.

YouTube - New Wind Power - The Wind Belt Invention
                    http://www.teslascientific.com/

"Knowledge is cosmic. It does not evolve or unfold in man. Man unfolds to an awareness of it. He gradually discovers it." - Walter Russell

"Once men died for Truth, but now Truth dies at the hands of men." - Manly P. Hall

Comment

Has anyone tried applying the "Bedini Mechanical Oscillator" principle with a Piezo element in place of a flywheel? Frequency would be pretty high, so the recovery action would be pretty substantial if you used the right capacitance value. Just a thought

Comment

Hi guys are rochelle crystals and quartz the best two piezo crystals ? Does anyone have a list of all the piezo crystals there are ?

Comment

Piezo Generator

Piezoelectric Generator Harvesting Bike Vibrations Energy to Supply Portable Devices

http://www.icrepq.com/icrepq-08/344-minazara.pdf

For sale on EBAY

Comment

Originally posted by b_rads View Post
                            Piezoelectric Generator Harvesting Bike Vibrations Energy to Supply Portable Devices

http://www.icrepq.com/icrepq-08/344-minazara.pdf

For sale on EBAY

Even though the efficiency is low this isn't a problem as most vibrations are an unwanted byproduct of work being done and as such can be counted as free

Comment

Working...
                            X