Questions on pyrolyzing wood peelings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on pyrolyzing wood peelings

I have put together a simple pyrolyzing unit in the fashion of Jetijs with his plastic to oil machine. I have done household plastics of #2,4,5,6 mixed together in the reactor to get some type of diesel gas mix. I just poured it through a cloth and was able to start and run my husky chainsaw with no other additives. Though it ran strong and I had to idle it down, as it put out more horsepower, it also was pretty smelly and somewhat smokey. I then tried a mixture of used motor oils in the reactor and that gave me a similar product but then I also had paraffin to deal with in the fuel I made. Lastly, I have done two batches of wood peelings. I needed to peel several small logs to make some furniture and I thought I would try this for biochar. The char seems fine. The batch needs a slightly hotter temperature to complete (500c). As the peelings were mostly green I got a lot of water out of the first condenser. After the water comes a dark soupy fuel. Not much liquid fuel so it is not meaningful to use like the plastic to oil guys, but since this is coming from wood scrapings and bark, is this liquid o.k. for the compost pile and or garden? What about the water, as it also has a heavy fuel like smell to it? As a side note I have retained the vapor fuel in innertubes to possibly use on an appliance but it's characteristics baffle me as of yet on how to properly make a burner. So far the best flame characteristic comes from stuffing coarse steel wool tightly into an 1/8 inch pipe and lighting the end. The flame is nice blue. If I mix with air first like a typical burner it will hardly light, let alone stay lit.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Andrew

I would be leery

of putting either the fuel smelling water, or the oily substance, in a compost heap. Composting is for organic matter, and I don't believe this is organic, anymore. It would be like saying gasoline is organic, cause it 'came from dinosaurs and plants', and is therefore o.k. to put in a compost.At least, thats my thinking.
    Wondering if the gas somehow already has oxygen in it, hence its characterisitics.Maybe either using the wood peelings, or something about the process releases a lot of o2? Just a thought,...Storing in inner tubes=great idea.Jim

Comment

Working...
    X