Obama Energy Plan: He Gets It Right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Energy Plan: He Gets It Right!

Barack Obama‘s State of the Union Address made clear his intention to reform America’s energy portfolio. Something that is needed as much there is it is here, where politicians are jumping all over the wind and renewable bandwagon as if it was a tried and tested technology that solely powered countries elsewhere, when in reality, right now it simply can't.

So what does Obama propose, and why do i think he has it right? Well without jumping into the exact numbers proposed, basically Obama wants to drastically slash the massive subsidies currently given to oil and gas technologies, the technology of yesterday, and invest those billions in savings into the energy of today, nuclear, clean coal, and into the energy of the future, wind solar, tidal what have you.

Why is this good? Well anyone who knows about technologies like wind ans solar will tell you that yes it is fantastic while getting better everyday and will be around for a long time to come, but at this current juncture is no where near reliable enough to power a country. What we need is a serious transition, and like all major transitions it will take time. Its innovation before implementation. Check out the article for the full plan and all of the numbers.
    Innovation Before Implementation: Why Obama has US Energy policy right. | E N V I R O G Y
    What do you think? Is nuclear a good transitional technology until we break on through to the clean energy side?

Well,

As expected the long transition to cleaner technology is just more of the same. Don't expect cheap Solar, Wind or any other alternative energy source until THEY can get their global carbon taxes in order.

Sounds to me more like the ongoing Quantitative Easing programs that Obama loves so much !

What exactly happens to all of these breakthroughs in Solar Energy, Cancer Treatment etc..
    they never seem to make their way to the "Average Joe" I wonder why that is?

Will

Comment

Yes i have my doubts in this Campaign also.
      We got some Programs what should sponsor Green Energy,
      All we got from it are new taxes and at last the Result,
      that the 'Green Energy' what they do install over Advertises
      and Companys are not efficient enough to replace her Dirty Power.
      Because of this Fact we avoid into Eco friendly Devices,
      trow all our old Things and sell new 'green' Devices,
      and give the Economy a bit new speedup.
      Theorizer are like High Voltage. A lot hot Air with no Power behind but they are the dead of applied Work and Ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tesla_Son View Post
        Barack Obama‘s State of the Union Address made clear his intention to reform America’s energy portfolio. Something that is needed as much there is it is here, where politicians are jumping all over the wind and renewable bandwagon as if it was a tried and tested technology that solely powered countries elsewhere, when in reality, right now it simply can't.

So what does Obama propose, and why do i think he has it right? Well without jumping into the exact numbers proposed, basically Obama wants to drastically slash the massive subsidies currently given to oil and gas technologies, the technology of yesterday, and invest those billions in savings into the energy of today, nuclear, clean coal, and into the energy of the future, wind solar, tidal what have you.

Why is this good? Well anyone who knows about technologies like wind ans solar will tell you that yes it is fantastic while getting better everyday and will be around for a long time to come, but at this current juncture is no where near reliable enough to power a country. What we need is a serious transition, and like all major transitions it will take time. Its innovation before implementation. Check out the article for the full plan and all of the numbers.
        Innovation Before Implementation: Why Obama has US Energy policy right. | E N V I R O G Y
        What do you think? Is nuclear a good transitional technology until we break on through to the clean energy side?
        What I think is this... Obama is clueless when it comes to energy policy. The establishment has done enough studies and projections to pretty much have the answers but have done precious little to roll it out to the people. And, like I said, Obama doesn't have a clue. Instead of government getting in the way, they should learn how to ENABLE technology. That is not what I am seening. They want to tax us and kill innovation with regulations.
        There is a reason why science has been successful and technology is widespread. Don't be afraid to do the math and apply the laws of physics.

Comment

Absolutely not for a few reasons. We have spent multi billions if not trillions on Nuclear research and it still not where it should be. Years ago they said we would be able to walk into a nuclear pile room without harm. Right! To make things worse they are having a hard time disposing of spent rods and nuclear waste from what Ive read. Then there is the terrorist threat on nuclear plants. Nuclear power is a waste of time and expense in my opinion and it can be unsafe to the Earth as well as people. Its a major money pit for the taxpayers.

Comment

This is from the whitehouse blog a month ago:

Some milestones:

SOLAR

* We approved nine large-scale solar energy projects in the sunny deserts of California and Nevada, including the first solar project ever permitted on public lands, and what will be the largest solar project in the world when completed. Together, the projects will provide nearly 3,700 megawatts - enough to power more than one million homes - and create over 7,000 new jobs.
            * We teamed up with the Department of Energy to develop long-term, landscape level planning for solar energy that will lead to a more efficient and effective process for project permitting and siting. This initiative includes a comprehensive environmental analysis that identifies proposed ‘solar energy zones’ on public lands in six western states most suitable for environmentally sound, utility-scale solar energy production.

WIND

* We signed a lease for the Cape Wind energy project, the nation’s first commercial wind energy development on the Outer Continental Shelf. With the potential to power more than 200,000 homes in Massachusetts, Cape Wind signals a new era for offshore energy production.
            * We launched a ‘Smart from the Start’ wind energy initiative for the Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf to facilitate siting, leasing and construction of new projects. The initiative slashes red tape and will identify priority Wind Energy Areas for potential development. Smart planning and early environmental reviews will pay dividends in spurring responsible renewable wind energy development.
            * We approved a 150-megawatt wind project in Nevada that will generate enough energy to power more than 52,000 homes. This project joins the 29 wind development projects already in production on public lands with an installed capacity of approximately 580 megawatts.

GEOTHERMAL AND TRANSMISSION

* We broke ground on the 235-mile One Nevada transmission line which will help deliver renewable energy to consumers. This line will join more than 500 miles of critical, new electric transmission lines crossing Nevada and Idaho that this administration has greenlighted.
            * We approved two new geothermal projects in Nevada which will harness the earth’s energy to produce about 79 megawatts of energy and generate enough energy to power about 79,000 homes.
            Keep your mind on the aether www.PathsToSucceed.com

Comment

Clean energy=good/ goverment forcing markets=bad

No one is going to argue that clean renewable energy is a good thing. But lets face the facts. Every time the government sticks its nose into markets and forces markets to come about with their nonstop printing press and regulations, it always ends in failure. Why? Because its not a real market that came about from actual market forces and demands. Lets also face the fact that basically everything the administration has promised has failed and screwed everyone over.

Why all the sudden would you expect them to get something right, just look at their track record, its not going to happen. Sure, someone will profit from this, but it wont be any of us.

Lie after lie after lie, i dont fall for their games. Dont expect anything real and good to happen until the country is back in the peoples hands.

Comment

I'm sorry I don't agree.

For example I like having the post office options as well as FedUp er you know lol. And the post office is self sufficient by the way paying for itself.

The government can invest in more oil drilling or it can invest in solar, etc. what do you chose?

Governments federal and local have money and spend it in bulk compared to each consumer.

This allows prices of things like LED bulbs etc. to go down and also leads by example.

The government buying solar panels is not forcing anything it's supporting good things.

Comment

The government can invest in more oil drilling or it can invest in solar, etc. what do you chose?
                  Answer: Neither

Its not the governments job to invest in oil or solar. People have forgotten about the constitution and free markets. The founding fathers would be rolling in their graves if they saw how far our government has strayed from what they intended. Yea, government has money to spend, our money, and way too much of it, personally id rather keep my hard earned money for myself. We should be saving not spending, we are in debt, common sense.

Also, in case you havnt herd, there are hundreds of post offices shutting down across the country right now due to government cutting funds.

If there was an actual demand for the solar power or whatever and a feasible application and profit factor, dont worry, the market will provide it when its time. Right now there may indeed be that need, but government is regulating the markets so the free market cant provide. Why do you think our manufacturing is going over seas? Its no longer profitable here because of government forcing upon the market. The real problem is getting government out of the way so the markets can do business. Specifically, case in point, did you know that power companies in the US have to pay carbon taxes. All except GE that is. These are not fair or free markets and that is the problem. The whole system is rigged in favor of government cronies. Get these boneheads out of the way and America will become great again, the way it use to be, overflowing with innovation and economic output. Then you will get the real renewable power systems we all dream about.

Have a look
                  YouTube - Treason: Obama Shuts Down Power Plants Coast to Coast
                  Last edited by cody; 02-19-2011, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Just like regular people there are good and bad politicians and those who are both good and bad. Human condition.

My worst fear is that the government is not there to regulate such things as monopolies etc.

So there are some post offices closing. I don't get your point. The economy's not great and they are probably doing the responsible thing. If they were corrupt they'd stay open and charge tax dollars.

You'd rather a world with only FedUp and allow them to charge whatever?

The government is the only tool we have in keeping corporations under control besides our spending dollar which, like in the case of say cars and gas, we are rather tied sometimes.

The right time for solar IS here and the market is rather suck on that. The capitalistic lie of the market handling itself is clear.

What the h is the problem with money going there? I don't get you at all sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by cody View Post
                      Why do you think our manufacturing is going over seas?
                      I think our manufacturing started going overseas because W. made it cheaper tax wise for companies to do that. Yeah I do have disdain for politicians who do stuff like that.

But since Obama's been in office I only hear of things like the German company who re-opened failed plants in the US including my city for solar energy product production.

Comment

The wind and solar farms are going to have a harder time of it than coal-fired power plants. Just like a new prison, no one wants them in their backyard where they can see them. In the case of solar farms and wind farms, they take up a whole lot more real estate than a power plant so the cost of losing the land for other uses as well as the "I don't want them blocking my view of the mountains" factor will keep them relegated to 2nd and 3rd class solutions. Add to this, most residential zones have restrictions preventing the home owner from installing any because of the same issues; they can be seen. It won't be until the breakdown of society that we'll be able to do what we want...

Comment

It's hard for me to believe that someone who "wants" solar and wind energy development has so many bad things to say about it.

The more I think about this I'm like I freakin HOPE the government "forces" the solar market and the LED one too.

If you wanna call getting solar and LED to be affordable forcing whatever.

In Germany there are football field size solar areas and they have less sun than us. Hey we can put them over all that land in the Nevada desert with toxic crap buried underneath that nobody wants and here's a concept . . rooftops.

The anti solar posters in this thread can only be pro-oil. Big oil is who profits from arguments like the solar market will be swell when it's time for it, and nobody should have the right to regulate corporations.

Comment

My worst fear is that the government is not there to regulate such things as monopolies etc.
                            Yea i use to believe that too. Then i got educated. Government is supporting the monopolies. Their regulations dont keep them in check, all they do is knock out the competition so the monopolies grow even bigger. Lots of people are finally starting to wake up to reality, its not about blaming bush or obama, the end game has been the same regardless. I dont blame people for not knowing this, we have all been lied to by professional con artists. Keep searching for truth and you will find it, but dont look for it on the national media. Im done talking about this here, it was not my intention to get into an argument, ill have to agree to disagree. Please dont call me "anti solar" or a oil supporter because that is not true.
                            Last edited by cody; 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Ok but I am still baffled by your statement:

If there was an actual demand for the solar power or whatever and a feasible application and profit factor, dont worry, the market will provide it when its time.

I would like an affordable solar power option, you would not? (From where do you draw the conclusion that there is not an actual demand?)

When are you saying the time is for that, if not now or prior to now?

And what would you propose as far as regulating corporations? I mean I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one but do you have a better solution?
                              Last edited by future pather; 02-19-2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X