Captret Destroys Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captret Destroys Capacitors

Don't destroy good capacitor or waste your time. If you draw even micro amperes via the so called Captret configuration, you will alter the capacitor characteristics and when you pull milli-amperes for extended periods you actually risk an explosion from built up gas from the capacitor degrading.

If you play with this type of improper configuration, we suggest you fuse your circuit to prevent a short and fire when the caps give out, this could be bad if you are sleeping and your circuit is running.

Here is a link to picture of damage from a 48 hour run we did at the lab, very back and dangerous results.

A capacity test after extended run proves interesting also.

Damage 1
    Damage 2
    Damage 3
    Normal 4

Dr. Stifflers short paper on the Captret.

Oh well.......They only cost me 3 roubles for a bag of 500

Now i understand why my 25V/50V 1000 micF caps could light 3 CFLs for 2 mins on my exciter, but then seemed to be no good for love nor money

Comment

What have you done to your caps?

I've got a captret running for 2 weeks running on 20.9 volts without any affect to the caps, the caps and the whole circuit are actually cold. My captrets run 24 hours a day with no effect to the capacitor. You must be doing something wrong, i'm worried about what you did.

I've not seen anything like this happen, you must have done something very wrong.

If your caps say 16 volts only, then don't exceed that voltage. My captrets have at least 35 volts and up on the capacitors, some go up to 400 volts.

What did you do?
      All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

I bloaded one Cap too while playing around with some Configurations.
        But one other works normally.
        Its may better to stick it into something save, when let it run for a longer Time.
        But with the Basic Setup Source -> Cap -> Led, i did not have really problems with it.
        Theorizer are like High Voltage. A lot hot Air with no Power behind but they are the dead of applied Work and Ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by ibpointless2 View Post
          What have you done to your caps?

I've got a captret running for 2 weeks running on 20.9 volts without any affect to the caps, the caps and the whole circuit are actually cold. My captrets run 24 hours a day with no effect to the capacitor. You must be doing something wrong, i'm worried about what you did.

I've not seen anything like this happen, you must have done something very wrong.

If your caps say 16 volts only, then don't exceed that voltage. My captrets have at least 35 volts and up on the capacitors, some go up to 400 volts.

What did you do?
          Hi ibpointless2!

Firstly, thanks for sharing your ideas - ive had fun with my captrets, and its all thanks to you. Secondly, I know what you mean - i dont think the caps will get damaged when the amp draw is microamps. I only broke my caps at 10mA or more....in fact, one battery went up to an amp on the display, but a few seconds later it seemed to give up and the exciter stopped. Ive been using a prehistoric dead as a dodo 12V battery and it seems to be working fine and ive been using it and the cap longer than 48 hours.

But i think conrad is right if you use a living 12V battery....the amp draw is too much for the cap and it just wont take it for very long. This is what seems to be happening in my fun experiments anyhow. Many diodes have already bitten the dust also. But such is life....all individuals come to an end....only energy lasts forever....

Comment

Also don't play with old capacitor, only use ones that are from 2007 and up. You could be dealing with the capacitor plague that affect a bunch of caps (1999 to 2007). The caps would explode or leak(bulge).

Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the caps i use are relatively new (2009 -2010), i get them at mouser.com and radio shack. Like i said this is all a learning experience.
            All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

I think that captret is using inductance between terminal and a case forming RLC circuit of very high frequency.Keep in mind that aluminium foil inside is rolled into a pancake coil and connected to upper metal case by electrolytic solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ibpointless2 View Post
                Also don't play with old capacitor, only use ones that are from 2007 and up. You could be dealing with the capacitor plague that affect a bunch of caps (1999 to 2007). The caps would explode or leak(bulge).

Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the caps i use are relatively new (2009 -2010), i get them at mouser.com and radio shack. Like i said this is all a learning experience.
                Don't believe a word till you try em for yourself.

Build capacitors, it's real simple and cost much less. You can build soda can electrolytic capacitor with huge capacity in the 10,000 uf and 100'sv for under $2 each.

Comment

Originally posted by electricity View Post

Build capacitors, it's real simple and cost much less. You can build soda can electrolytic capacitor with huge capacity in the 10,000 uf and 100'sv for under $2 each.
                  Can you point me to any good links for DIY caps? i tried having a glance earlier but couldnt find anything except baking soda as an electrolyte - is antifreeze better?

Comment

Originally posted by electricity View Post

Like asked before please show us an instructable video of making one.

As for the OP, what can I say. You must have a real twisted agenda to immediately make a thread scaring people without a single post in the main thread addressing the issue.
                    Tell me what is the real purpose of this stand alone thread? That's a rhetorical question btw.

I suggest that anyone experimenting does however do it in a safe environment. And not be stupid enough to exceed basic voltage rating of an electrolyte capacitor. However whether that needs it "don't waste your time on this fear mongering" thread is debatable....NOT. I admit that I have a cap that also bulged, but that's due to shear neglect of the voltage rating of 6V while using 12V source. None of the other higher voltage rated caps had this issue.

Comment

iki

Originally posted by seth View Post
                      Can you point me to any good links for DIY caps? i tried having a glance earlier but couldnt find anything except baking soda as an electrolyte - is antifreeze better?
                      Here is a good tutorial on EC:

Electrochemistry Encyclopedia -- Electrolytic capacitors

In particular, pay close attention to the Package Section. I will quote it here for you again:

"...The can into which the capacitor section is placed is made of 1100-alloy aluminum, which is of around 99% purity. For 25 to 50 mm (one-inch to two-inch)-diameter capacitors, the wall thickness is 0.022 inches. A butyl rubber gasket is placed on top of the header before the spinning operation, in which the case opening is folded over and pressed into the gasket, forming an effective seal of the system. The package is at the same potential as the electrolyte and cathode during capacitor operation, so when electrolytic capacitors are connected in series, care must be taken to insulate the cases from one another. Although the aluminum electrolytic capacitor case is at the cathode potential, it may not be used for the negative electrical connection because of high electrolyte resistivity and the long effective path from the cathode to the can. If the electrolyte were of much lower resistivity, eliminating the cathode and using the can instead might be a possibility. A safety vent is provided in capacitors so that the capacitor may relieve excessive pressure buildup in a controlled manner. This occurrence is known as venting, and is considered a failure mode. The vent may be installed as a rubber plug in the header or as a die-set slit impression in the can wall. The pressure at which the capacitor vents is predictable, and is usually designed to occur at about seven atmosphere pressure or even higher. The allowable pressure tends to be higher for small capacitors. After a capacitor vents, the electrolyte may evaporate out until the capacitance diminishes. "

After reading this you will quickly realize that the captret and its supposedly effects are complete misunderstandings on the part of non-linear thinkers.

I have a few high quality and mil qualified caps available for cheap. Those who are intersted, let me know. First come, first serve.

Miki Out.

Comment

Originally posted by broli View Post
                        Like asked before please show us an instructable video of making one.

As for the OP, what can I say. You must have a real twisted agenda to immediately make a thread scaring people without a single post in the main thread addressing the issue.
                        Tell me what is the real purpose of this stand alone thread? That's a rhetorical question btw.

I suggest that anyone experimenting does however do it in a safe environment. And not be stupid enough to exceed basic voltage rating of an electrolyte capacitor. However whether that needs it "don't waste your time on this fear mongering" thread is debatable....NOT. I admit that I have a cap that also bulged, but that's due to shear neglect of the voltage rating of 6V while using 12V source. None of the other higher voltage rated caps had this issue.
                        It is obvious that if you even ask this question that nothing I could answer would allow you to understand.

I admit that I have a cap that also bulged,
                        Gee golly, aren't you lucky that it was not an explosion of electrolyte in your face or child's face. WOW! aren't you luck that the cap did not short out a high current source and burn down your home.

And you ask and answer your own questions??

Comment

The Myth continues

OP, have you even tried hooking up a 9v dead battery to a large capacity electrolytic capacitor. Try a 250v 50000 uf cap.

Geesh, I'm so afraid of a dead 9v battery.

Oh, get into your bunker first before the explosion

Comment

Different caps

Hi guys I have different caps with differnet voltage. The thing is that my 9v battery climbed to 3.40v and stopped.
                            I used four caps to the captret a 400v 330uf in series with a 400v 220uf and another 400v 150 uf.
                            I connected another in parallel 25v 4700uf.
                            Can I do this to acquire high voltage and high microfarad cap bank?
                            Any help please?
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Guruji View Post
                              Hi guys I have different caps with differnet voltage. The thing is that my 9v battery climbed to 3.40v and stopped.
                              I used four caps to the captret a 400v 330uf in series with a 400v 220uf and another 400v 150 uf.
                              I connected another in parallel 25v 4700uf.
                              Can I do this to acquire high voltage and high microfarad cap bank?
                              Any help please?
                              Thanks
                              *Guruji
                              You need to go to the original thread for this type of question as this thread is not intended to perpetuate what they say they have or answer question other than the dangers present to uninformed experimenters.

Conrad

Comment

Working...
                              X