Faraday's C/c x V Single Plate Capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faraday's C/c x V Single Plate Capacitor

I was reading about Hiddink's plasma capacitor and how it achieves the Faraday theory that very high voltage is generated if a spherical capacitor is charged then one plate removed. The material I was reading is here: Joseph Hiddink: One-Terminal Capacitor -- Articles & USP#4095162

This sounds very interesting to me as I have been trying to generate high potentials. I have a layden jar and I do not see any high voltage when I remove the inner "plate" of the capacitor. Further, Hiddink states:
    The potential on this sphere is C/c x V. If C+ 1 microfarad, and c = 50 micromicrofarad, and V = 1000 volts, we get a momentarily pulse of 20 million volts.
    Now I must not be understanding this because .000001/.00005 * 1000 = 20 volts not 20 million.

If anyone can answer some questions it would be greatly appreciated.

1) How is the calculation properly "done"
    2) Where can I find the Faraday theory regarding this theory?
    3) Does this effect require rapid switching as Tesla and Gray needed to achieve the high voltage effect?
    4) Does the capacitor plate have to be a shpere?
    5) Does the plasma capacitor have to be inside a sphere or other metal enclosure?

Hi,

Please notice that even in the sixties and up to the seventies I think, the micromicroFarad was used (mainly in USA) for expressing what is known today as picoFarad, pF.

So 50pF is involved, not 50uF (uF=microFarad). Double micro is now pico...

Gyula

Comment

MIT clasic physics open courses

Someone might find this useful. MIT open course demonstrate this voltage increase in separating capacitor plates. Lecture 8- 8.02 Electricity and Magnetism. http://www.youtube.com/v/E185G_JBd7U...s=1&showinfo=0

This effect is very much real!

Since it would seem no-one is willing to share I am going to try a few experiments.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by gyula View Post
        Hi,

Please notice that even in the sixties and up to the seventies I think, the micromicroFarad was used (mainly in USA) for expressing what is known today as picoFarad, pF.

So 50pF is involved, not 50uF (uF=microFarad). Double micro is now pico...

Gyula
        Thanks for pointing that out! I overlooked that. I seem to recall some confusion over that very issue in electronics class years ago.

Comment

I read somewhere that there are some strange effects like this with a spherical capacitor, IE the two plates have different capacitance.

A ball inside a ball, how would one best insulate a connection wire inside?

Comment

Working...
          X