Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any desire for an experimenters electronic "LEGO" set ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any desire for an experimenters electronic "LEGO" set ?

Having watched many threads on this forum, I have been thinking much time could be saved, if some better electronics were available for the experiments.

So now I have designed the main outline of an experimenters "LEGO" set.

And yes, it contains uControllers, nasty nasty, over complicated, I already hear the critics, but...

- How about having good precise control of resonant circuits, timing resolution 8ns
    - How about having easy access to isolated, protected MOSFET half-H drivers, up to 600V, 60A with precise timing
    - How about precise timing control of up to 6 half-H with programmable dead time control
    or as up to 12 individual MOSFETs or 3 full bridges
    - How about being able to control the timing relative to external events
    - How about being able to control the half-H timing relative to high resolution motor angle (encoder)
    - How about current limiting and voltage regulation
    - How about controlling the above with a simple user interface with a LCD display
    - How about having access to build your own regulated HV supplies

You don't need to be an EE or programmer to do this, dedication will solve a lot.
    If you would like that, you have to accept the following to get it from me:

- You must wait for me to extend the system, or join helping me to get it faster
    - You get diagrams, part lists, PCB layouts, Gerber files, program source code and binaries
    - You must get the PCBs yourself or as a group
    - You must buy the components yourself or as a group
    - You assemble and solder yourself or as a group, also SMD, (not as hard as you think)
    - You must buy or build a simple programmer for the uControllers
    - You must use your PC and the programmer to download the binaries into the uControllers.

And enjoy your efforts while doing your experiments.

----

As an appetizer here is the relatively simple LEGO block which will be capable of one of 5 functionalities, depending on which components and jumpers are mounted and which program are downloaded.

Alone:
    1. Frequency and pulse width, usable range from a few hundred Herz to approx. 500KHz. resolution 16ns
    2. A SMPS with fuzzy logic regulator algorithm for low voltage ripple.

With main controller:
    3. Measuring current
    4. Measuring voltage and detecting current overload with optional MOSFET protection and programmable limit
    5. Measuring voltage and detecting exceeded programable voltage limit

In addition I have the half-H bridge and the main controller under construction.

To make this "public" available and usable, good documentation is needed, so here is another opportunity to help.

....If this is of interest for YOU.

It will be possible to cover a good range of "applications" by combining the "LEGO" blocks.

-----

If you think this is crazy to do, and not needed, please keep silent and let this thread die in peace.

If you despite of the work needed are interested to get going, please let me know.

If the interest justifies it, I will go on for making this "LEGO" set available for the forum members.

I consider the circuit below as a start test, if you are interested, and it succeeds being built, we can continue.

Eric
    Last edited by Tecstatic; 11-03-2009, 12:37 AM.
Working...
X