Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stepping Down High voltage to usable power via caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepping Down High voltage to usable power via caps?

Hello @ All,

At first i want to thank you for your promt replies and good suggestions. You have been very helpful!

The question is: I have an "energizer coil" that puts out - shorted - some 0.3 amps @ 500 volts!!! (I can make it go to kilo range if i want to)

HOW can i step down that energy in order to fill up batteries without employing a trasformer? Are capacitors helpful for filling up and then pulse charging a battery? Are efficient?
    Has anyone experience with that?

Regards,
    Baroutologos

It depends on whether your 500V source is AC or DC.

If your 500V source is an AC, then you can use a transformerless power supply circuit to obtain a low voltage DC. Here is an example of transformerless power supply:

Transformerless Power Supply

If your 500V source is a DC, then you would need a spark gap or a relay to convert the DC into a pulse waveform. The pulse waveform can be used to charge up a battery. Alternatively, you can use any transformerless power supply circuit to downconvert the pulse waveform into a DC.
    Last edited by anut; 07-22-2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

impedance matching

Originally posted by baroutologos View Post
      HOW can i step down that energy in order to fill up batteries without employing a trasformer? Are capacitors helpful for filling up and then pulse charging a battery?
      You probably want to keep the power the same .. but step down
      the voltage only, increasing the current

Transformers are your way to go here ... and there are nice
      toroidal ones -- highly efficient.

The math is pretty simple here ... read up on impedance matching.

Comment

C-Stack

Hi

This might be what you need?

http://jnaudin.free.fr/cstack/index.htm

Multiple taps within a capacitor can raise or lower voltage like a transformer.
        This needs to be explored, but I can find little follow up on this idea.

Hope this helps,
        tishatang

Comment

Working...
        X