Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direction of current flow in cap/battery vs. inductor

Hi all,

Sometimes ago I did a series of experiments to understand more about current flow and polarities. My finding and conclusion as follows:

Assuming the current convention current flow from + to - in batteries. The same flow assumption is true in capacitor. However, the current flow in an induced voltage conductor(coil) is acting in the opposing direction.

What I mean was that assuming you induce a voltage in a coil and the polarity is showed by the meter. Now if you short circuit the coil, the current will flow from - to +.

A similar line is current flow + to - external of a battery and flow + to -internal of a coil.

I looked through many reference to see what they have about this and so far I could not find a source addressing this. I think it is important as to understand the behaviors of circuits and have correct prediction as well as foundation.

Here is a diagram:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by quantumuppercut; 07-01-2009, 05:08 AM.

Hi and
    Usual the Way to generate Current is allways revers from that, how you use it.
    But what would you say, when the Direction from Current is wrong.
    See my Post #392

So actually when you generate Current, it flows not from inside the Coil to Outside, but from outside to inside.
    Theorizer are like High Voltage. A lot hot Air with no Power behind but they are the dead of applied Work and Ideas.

Comment

hi Joit,

Thanks for the welcoming.

Yes, I agree the convention way of + to - flow is opposite of the actual electron flow. However, it should not matter to the fact that current flow differently in battery vs. coil. If you look at Bedini circuit, joule thief, as well as other bifilar coil set up involving transistor, the behavior is clearly.

The similar experiment is done by Mr. Lenz. However, I believe what he described was the inertia effect and not the actual current flow.

Comment

Okay,

I've redone my experiment. I did make a mistake. Current will flow from + to - in the path of least resistance, meaning outside the coil. Thanks for the skepticism.

Comment

Seriously, i cant tell you, what really happens at a Coil, and how far Lenz Law is involved with it.
          Sure, you can do calculations about it, but its for the standard Coil
          Even all the Theories, and i am pretty sure, it are only Theories,
          cant explain proper, what do move there, charge or a magnetic Field ie, or what makes a Load/charge.
          What happens, when you rewind the Coil different ie, different Layers or Turns for each Layer, how much does it affect at the overall magnetic field from the Coil and the charge, what is transported there. Bifilar, Trifilar, Flat or Aircoil.
          Noone knows it proper. All they do is do the simple Way to wind the Coil with 1 Layer right, one Layer left, because its the simple straight Way.
          Best you can do, is try it allways, if there are any other posibilities and see, if you can get a better Result. Imho
          Theorizer are like High Voltage. A lot hot Air with no Power behind but they are the dead of applied Work and Ideas.

Comment

Working...
          X