A look at 'cash for clunkers' plans in Congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A look at 'cash for clunkers' plans in Congress

This is a nice idea. If your car gets 18mpg or worse you would get a big rebate for buying a more efficient one:

A look at proposals in Congress to provide consumers with rebates of up to $4,500 to turn in their gas-guzzling cars and trucks for more fuel-efficient vehicles.

HOUSE

Lawmakers on Tuesday passed the House bill sponsored by Rep. Betty Sutton, D-Ohio. Its provisions:

_Passenger car owners could receive a voucher worth $3,500 if they traded in a passenger car getting 18 miles per gallon or less for a new car getting at least 22 mpg.

_Sport utility vehicle, pickup truck or minivan owners that get 18 mpg or less could receive a voucher for $3,500 if their new SUV, truck or minivan is at least 2 mpg higher than their old vehicle.

_Passenger car owners could get a voucher for $4,500 if they traded in a passenger car getting 18 miles per gallon or less for a new car that is 10 mpg higher than the old car.

_SUV, pickup truck or minivan owners that get 18 mpg or less could receive a voucher for $4,500 if the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 5 mpg higher than the older vehicle.

_Large trucks (pickup trucks and vans weighing between 6,000 and 8,500 pounds) with mileage of at least 15 mpg would be eligible for vouchers of $3,500 to $4,500.

_Consumers can receive electronic government vouchers through participating dealers for the purchase or lease of qualifying vehicles.

_Older trade-in vehicles must be in drivable condition, be manufactured in model year 1984 or later and be continuously insured to the same owner for at least one year immediately prior to trade-in. . . .

A look at 'cash for clunkers' plans in Congress - Yahoo! News
    Keep your mind on the aether www.PathsToSucceed.com

Sounds good on paper but think of all the cars that will be destroyed that are considered "classics." What this will do is force everyone to have a newer vehicle where all aspects of engine management are handled by the computer. No more carbs to adjust, no distributor to adjust... just when alternative fuels like HHO are starting to make some headway.

Comment

my 2 cents

There are MANY cars up to 10 years old and older that get much better mileage than these supposed "NEW" high mileage cars. And, they cost a fraction of the cost of a new car.

All the propaganda about these new cars being such great mileage cars...I don't see how they can keep pulling this off year after year.

In the mid 90's, Honda had a civic that got over 50mpg and each model after wards got less and less and less and less until they were down to the lower 30mpg range.

I have seen the same with other companies. Some models with really great gas mileage then after a few years, the mileage is worse and worse.

So even with the rebates, it is still putting people into debt by seducing them into a new car that may have better mileage than what they have now but they could easily get a used car with even better mileage and not have the debt.

This is like some people that believe they are saving money when they buy things that are on sale. The truth is that they spent money and they can only save that money if they didn't spend it on something to begin with.

Encouraging people to buy new cars will probably simply get people in more debt that they wouldn't otherwise be in if they simply kept their car, kept it tuned up to increase mileage or simply bought a higher mileage used car, which could be almost new if they wanted but at a fraction of the price.
      Sincerely,
      Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
      Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
      RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

This is a nonsensical idea. If they want to help the economy they should just hand us out the money directly. As it is, they want us all to go deeper in depth 'to save the economy'...

It is impossible to borrow yourself to prosperity...Too bad government can't figure out this simple fact.

Comment

Hey we've got to get from here to there somehow.

If we expected the average person out there to modify or improve their current cars I'm sure there'd be plenty of people who would criticize that idea.

Even if this idea is not the best ever I consider it a move in the right direction. I'd rather this than no attempt and I chose to appreciate what I see as progress.

This is a big big issue and I don't expect immediate resolution. I do, however, expect forward movement.

We'd probably be paralyzed forever if we waited for what everyone agreed to be the perfect solution.

Comment

Originally posted by everwiser View Post

It is impossible to borrow yourself to prosperity...Too bad government can't figure out this simple fact.
            Imo "the government" is too broadly used here.

My jaw dropped when W. Bush mocked the pay-as-you go concept in a presidential debate way back with Gore. (Gore's jaw dropped too but then he got criticized for seeming full of himself for showing his shock at W's crazed ideas.)

Obama is pro pay-as-you go:

Obama pitches pay-as-you-go plan for US Congress - The Morning Sun News: Serving Clare, Gratiot and Isabella counties

It appears Obama's bail out of banks is having a good effect. There were enough restrictions on the $ that banks now want to pay it back so they won't have to comply with the bail-out terms.

BBC NEWS | Business | Ten US banks to pay back bail-out

Comment

It's funny...

The response to this is rather funny. Hmm let me see.. Manufacturers have been making cars for how long and they can't seem to get this right. Even when there is sufficient technology to make higher mpg cars they don't. Why because they bought into the oil business along time ago knowing at some point infinate amount of cash was to be made, who's cash?, YOUR cash would be there to stuff thier pockets. EVEN though the car companies have the technology to make better carbs but they don't. Not only did the honda civic blow that concept away in the 90's even this forum has come up with ways that are borrowed from inventors that were trashed in the garbage because they were too good.
              It is about time our "Government" do something about the fleecing of america and the world! It's a start to get people thinking higher mpg. The sad fact is we are running out of time both in pollution and resources. Some people know this and they are trying to enact rewards to get people to do the right thing because most don't want to without something in it for them. Maybe they should just put a tarrif on each car that puts out certain levels of smog and crap that the rest of this country refuses to do. I myself actuall went out and got myself a scooter to get around town up to 20 miles. Eventually I hope to design and produce a motor that does Zero emmisions and actually generates power when not used.
              Look at Meyers... Take his gas processor pop it on the carb and turn the drip way way down and you still get the bang. Even on the lowest setting the carb should put out 200 mpg. He said it works with any gas! Not just hho. What did we do to that poor man?(Erased him). So you who like to donate all your hard earned cash to the big oil companies won't have to donate much, until the HHO version comes along. Only after we smarten up and realize that we are being manipulated and have been for decades will we have the power to make a change.
              People want to do what they will. No matter if it is good for thier neibor or not they do it. We must change that mentality or we will go no where fast.
              This in my opinion is a good thing what they did. It will encourage people to both buy new and extend our deadline even if it is for a couple of years. Complaining about any good step to correct a bad set of steps is futile.
              Last edited by Jbignes5; 06-11-2009, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbignes5 View Post
                Maybe they should just put a tarrif on each car that puts out certain levels of smog and crap that the rest of this country refuses to do.
                I don't know how many states have annual auto smog test requirements, but every state I have lived in has had one. No pass, no drive.

Comment

in many states.

Too many states don't have strict values to be any good even with anti smog laws. They are usually easy to bypass and even easier to avoid.
                  A lot of states also have industrial anti-smog tarrifs if they vent thier stacks untreated to the air also. Maybe we should just start charging people for running thier cars and polluting our air. Maybe then they would get the point that we need to start doing something to clean our evironment up. Cars are the major reason for pollution today besides industrial pollution. Then all we need to do is put that money to good use doing R&D that could benefit our society and not the pockets of corporations.
                  I think this congressional law is a good thing to encourage people to start thinking greener. It sets a presidence and allows for the people in general to learn about thier environment and how polluting it also affects thier neibors as well.

Comment

Now that the government owns GM, they need a new scheme to sell their cars. What better way than to use our hard earned tax money to buy new customers with.

Ted

Comment

All of the power that any car company has lies in the fact that people want their products. There is a value in what they provide, otherwise this would be a non-issue. People don't need to be tricked into wanting cars and buying cars.

Comment

Jess thanks for keeping us all up to date, i really value your posts and appreciate them, please keep em coming.

sincerely
                        Ash

Comment

Edward Bernays is rolling in his grave right now.

Comment

Originally posted by future pather View Post
                            All of the power that any car company has lies in the fact that people want their products. There is a value in what they provide, otherwise this would be a non-issue. People don't need to be tricked into wanting cars and buying cars.
                            Unfortunitly it doesn't work that way and you can thank Edward Bernays for that one. The way it has been working for them for about 50 years or more is they make a product market it as if you are going to die if you don't get it and it has been working for them on a grand scale.

Right now I am at the verge of making a car run on water so I really don't think much of the push to get a new car for as Boy Boyce found out the computerization will defeat any attemps to get better fuel economy. And I have found out that making the switch from gasoline to water as a fuel source all the computerization stuff really gets in the way of progress to the point they can not be switched over to using water as its' fuel source.

So my advice for right now is to just wait for me to get the bugs of the system worked out for I will do the right thing in the end and pass on energy independence to humanity. You can read all about how to use water as a fuel source here: http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...explained.html Not sure how much of it everyone will understand but all the science is there and so much more.

Best Wishes,

h2opower.

Comment

In Michigan we have no smog or safety inspections. If the government really wants to cut down on fuel consumption they should just give people a new Tata (I think thats the name) it only cost $2500.00 brand new and get 65 MPG. And get their old gas guzzler off the road.
                              Last edited by Mark; 06-11-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X