Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike's Gravity Wheel Project.

Hi everyone,

While working on the Window like motor, I had an idea of a gravity wheel and since I'm taking a little time off the motor project pending a few tests of efficiency and just thought I would give it a try. I have done intensive research in the last few days as if it has been tried and found nothing like it.

So I did a few drawings, measurements and pondered on how to best make it happen. Here are a few pictures of how I intend to build with steel binding straps and 5/8" ball bearings.

Any input on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking at it and take care all,

Michel
    Attached Files
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

Jig used for bending.

Hi everyone,

Just a few shots of the tool I made for bending the steel straps. The round part of the jig is 1 15/16" and was cut with a 2 1/8" hole saw. I made 26 bent straps and plan to use 24 around the circle. The backing will be of 1/4" birch plywood and the facing probably from a piece of 1/8" smoked Plexiglas I have in stock. I also plan to make a 3/4" hole in each section so I can add or remove ball bearings for tests. The center hub will have a radius of 3 3/8" will be notched to receive the inner strap ends and I also plan, as of the sketch above, to round the part between the notches and apply a small rubber pad to cut down the noise. I will use 2 sealed ball bearings, washed and relubed with light oil.

The piece of wood screwed in the back is for holding the jig in the vise.

Take care,

Michel

As always, feel free to replicate the design if you find it interesting.
    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting design. It might work if you used an odd number of straps, or made it eccentric. It has to overbalance to work. I hope it works. Good Luck. Stealth
      Last edited by Stealth; 05-13-2009, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Questions and answers.

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
        Interesting design. It might work if you used an odd number of straps, or made it eccentric. It has to overbalance to work. I hope it works. Good Luck. Stealth
        Hi Stealth,

Could you explain the reason(s) why it should have odd number of straps or why it should be made eccentric?

I know it should have a weight differential between the down stroke versus the up stroke but that can be done without necessarily having odd number of straps or being eccentric.

An odd number of straps would be beneficial for half the rotation but would be detrimental for the other half. An eccentric wheel would have the same problem. Or so I think but I don't know much about gravity wheels since I have only given them any consideration for the past few days.

Thanks and take care,

Michel

Comment

I love the idea of such simple gravity wheels, and would expect them to work, when smartly designed.
          However, has one ever been proven to work, on gravity alone?
          Having the extra leverage on one side is great, but you also need the height gain on the other side.
          That's why you can't send a person halfway the other end of a seesaw flying, I suppose. Raising is easy, but raising by more than you sink, is a tough one in a rigid setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloxxki View Post
            I love the idea of such simple gravity wheels, and would expect them to work, when smartly designed.
            However, has one ever been proven to work, on gravity alone?
            Having the extra leverage on one side is great, but you also need the height gain on the other side.
            That's why you can't send a person halfway the other end of a seesaw flying, I suppose. Raising is easy, but raising by more than you sink, is a tough one in a rigid setup.
            I have yet to see one work. However, figuring out why it doesn't work is well worth the trouble of building one.

Ted

Comment

Fly wheel for pulse motor....

Even if it does not completely work on gravity it looks to me like it would make an awsome fly wheel for a pulse motor.......

Enjoy the ride.....

Tj

Comment

I would build it like you showed, but make it adjustable where you can remove one or more straps, or add some to make it work. I have built many and none have worked, but don't let that stop you from trying. It is nonworking machine that give you a real insight as to how gravity works. Harnessing it has been a dream of many inventors, but few have succeeded. I hope you do.Good Luck. Stealth

Comment

@ Cloxxki,

I like the KISS way (Keep It Simple Stupid).

@ Ted Ewert,

I haven't seen one working either, that's why I gave it a try. I am usualy lucky with my projects.

@ tjnlsn255,

Big enough for a pulse motor but too light but a Bedini big monopole is something I plan to build in the future.

@ Stealth,

Unfortunately, the design I made cannot be easily modified. I would need to change the center hub, unglue all the parts and that is near as much trouble as a whole rework.

If the design works, fine but if it doesn't wouldn't be so bad. It did not require that much work and parts were all in stock or free. I can recycle the bearings, wood and Plexiglas on other projects.

If it does work, I'll make a low rpm alternator out of it from old 5 1/4" floppy drive coils and magnet assembly.

Thanks and take care,

Michel

Comment

Progres update.

Hi everyone,

I finish cutting the pieces and tried the steel strap pieces for fit, looks good so far. I'll grind the ends as to remove any burs from the cuts and will assemble the parts and glue them with hot glue and black RTV gasket maker (Oil resistant silicone gasket maker) for added strength.

I also have to sand the rotor circumference smooth with my bench sander. The hub is drilled for the 2 ball bearings and when all that is done, I will build the support and cut the Plexyglas facing.

Take care,

Michel

The first picture is the hub before it was notched.
                    The three other show different parts fitted on the rotor back plate and in the center hub.
                    Attached Files

Comment

"Flower Power".

Last picture before I dismantle it for the finishing touch. It does look like a flower.

I'll name it "Flower Power" for the bits of hippie left in me.

Peace and Love,

Michel
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sure is perdy

Quite a look of nautilus, the sea, and the golden ratio..

Lovely workmanship.
                        Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Inquorate View Post
                          Quite a look of nautilus, the sea, and the golden ratio..

Lovely workmanship.
                          Thanks Inquorate, it does look good, I just hope it works even slowly.

I have to make a good balancing act now and really reduce the drag from the bearings but that is part of the game.

Take care,

Michel

Comment

Nice work Michel. It's good to see competent construction. I hope it works for you.

Ted

PS, you may want to try something like Slick 50 in your bearings for less resistance.

Comment

Beautiful Work

Originally posted by Michelinho View Post
                              Last picture before I dismantle it for the finishing touch. It does look like a flower.

I'll name it "Flower Power" for the bits of hippie left in me.

Peace and Love,

Michel
                              Michel,

You do really nice work. Unfortunately, I predict it will not work. If you apply the "Center of Mass" analysis that I explained in Post #510 (on page 17) of The Mechanical Engine thread, you will understand why.

I have built designs like this before.

Peter
                              Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Open System Thermodynamics Perpetual Motion Reality Electric Motor Secrets
                              Battery Secrets Magnet Secrets Tesla's Radiant Energy Real Rain Making
                              Bedini SG: The Complete Handbook Series Magnetic Energy Secrets

Comment

Working...
                              X