PDA

View Full Version : ultraviolet B source options?

Vortex
12-16-2008, 04:14 PM
I've been looking at my options for an ultraviolet B source ensure I'm getting Vitimum D.

I would prefer to use LEDs, but I have not found one that is only UVB.

Should I be concerned about blocking the UVA from a single LED on 12 hours per day at the computer?
Would a single LED be good enough for Vit D production?

Thank you
Randy

Aaron
12-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Randy,

One UV LED probably isn't enough to produce vitamin D. I would build a cluster or pad of them.

I've been waiting for low cost super high output LED UV lights so I can encase the clear pre-sediment filter on my whole home filter. This is for germ killing in case anything is in the water. It isn't a problem here but I want one anyway because just in case.

There are some companies that are producing some very high output UV LED's but they are over $100 each so haven't hit the point of going cheap yet. These are quite a bit more powerful than the UV led's that are easily available now.

Vortex
12-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Hi Randy,

One UV LED probably isn't enough to produce vitamin D. I would build a cluster or pad of them.

I've been waiting for low cost super high output LED UV lights so I can encase the clear pre-sediment filter on my whole home filter. This is for germ killing in case anything is in the water. It isn't a problem here but I want one anyway because just in case.

There are some companies that are producing some very high output UV LED's but they are over $100 each so haven't hit the point of going cheap yet. These are quite a bit more powerful than the UV led's that are easily available now.

Thank you Aaron.
Asking saved me a bunch of searching time.

I'll have to go with my non-LED option, a CFL from NatureLighting (http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php?crn=565)

No specs, but cheap and has reviews. Most LEDs today are UVA only.:mad:
5mm UV LED Emitters (20-Pack) free shipping $3:suprise:
Forgot to link the above..DealExtreme: $2.93 5mm UV LED Emitters (20-Pack) (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2398)