Solid State Bedini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Bedini

Has anyone built and had any luck with a multi coil, multi circuit solid state Bedini charger?

Originally posted by Mark View Post
    Has anyone built and had any luck with a multi coil, multi circuit solid state Bedini charger?
    Look down a couple threads pulse generator.
    It works really good.

Lidmotor has a couple GREAT videos on youtube showing how to get the older circuit going "search for slayer007 roter less pulse motor".
    The new one works much better but to get it started its about the same.

Comment

Hi Mark

I have built a 17 strand single coil charger using 19swg (18awg) x 100ft strands. I use this to charge a 460 A/hr golf cart battery set. I'm not at liberty to post the circuit schematic as it is mostly a Bedini design. It is based on a simple solid state blocking oscillator circuit which drives additional transistors from a common trigger circuit. The oscillator produces extremely fast leading edge pulses which is essential for good performance. Each transistor output is taken from the collector via an ultra fast single diode to a common output bus for connection to the charging battery. All transistors are MJL21194.

The coil former is 7" x 5" with an air core. My 100ft trigger strand is wound on first, followed by the power strands in a 4 x 4 configuration (4 x 4 twisted strands).

A big single coil multi-strand charger is easier to build and get running than a multi-coil, multi-strand charger because the magnetic fields collapse in synch using a single coil where all strands are wound together. This gives a more effective discharge spike.

A big charger like this needs a good power supply which will deliver at least 10Amps. The average input current for my charger is about 5 Amps but the peak pulse current is much higher. For good performance its important to get the impedance very low using a big cap across the supply lines. I use 8AWG conductors for the input power supply and the output output charging leads. A fuse or preferably circuit breaker is essential in the supply line for safety reasons to prevent serious damage in case of a transistor failure resulting in a short circuit.

The Bedini '1 ohm test' replacing the charging battery should give less than 1volt drop across the resistor, as with the normal SG monopole energiser.

Hoppy

Comment

The Bedini '1 ohm test' replacing the charging battery should give less than 1volt drop across the resistor, as with the normal SG monopole energiser.

Hoppy

how do i do a '1 ohm test' hoppy, I just dont understand it!

Comment

solid state

Hoppy, are you using the basic solid state configuation from the free energy book. I have the book and have constructed a number of rotating chargers along with a couple of solid state ones but I haven't tried a multi circuit solid state one yet. I have the same transistors your useing and I'm using a 4 strand coil with a 26awg trigger and 20awg power windings at 150 feet. But all pulse wires are tied to 1 transistor. I have 4 other 4 wire coils ready to go for a rotating charger I have but am tired of dealing with the wheel and am considering going completely to solid state. I could wind all 16 wires plus triggar on 1 coil as you do if its beneficial. I have been rotating battery banks back and forth and have yet to have any access energy. I am beginning to wonder if I should have just spent my money on solar cells or a wind generator instead. Also are you useing the cap on the input side or the output side. Ans what values is it.
          Last edited by Mark; 10-31-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodkins View Post

Hoppy

how do i do a '1 ohm test' hoppy, I just dont understand it!

Bodkins

As I understand the test, a 1 ohm resistor is simply placed across the output in place of the charging battery and the DC voltage measured across the resistor. The voltage should be under 1V to pass the test. If it is above, then too much current is flowing into the battery. I have not seen any limitations given to the size or type of energiser, so I assume that this test applies to all energisers.

John Bedini calls this 'breaking the energiser' to show that there is no appreciable current flowing into the battery. With a rotored energiser, the rotor should start to slow down and eventually stop.

Hoppy

Comment

Hoppy, are you using the basic solid state configuation from the free energy book. I have the book and have constructed a number of rotating chargers along with a couple of solid state ones but I haven't tried a multi circuit solid state one yet. I have the same transistors your useing and I'm using a 4 strand coil with a 26awg trigger and 20awg power windings at 150 feet. But all pulse wires are tied to 1 transistor. I have 4 other 4 wire coils ready to go for a rotating charger I have but am tired of dealing with the wheel and am considering going completely to solid state. I could wind all 16 wires plus triggar on 1 coil as you do if its beneficial. I have been rotating battery banks back and forth and have yet to have any access energy. I am beginning to wonder if I should have just spent my money on solar cells or a wind generator instead. Also are you useing the cap on the input side or the output side. Ans what values is it.
              Hi Mark,

Wich circuit in the FEG book do you refer to as the basic solid state configuation ?

Thanks

Michel

Comment

What I'm currently using a MJL21194 transistor, 10K resistor between emmitter and base, 18K resistor between base and collector, 2K resistor between base and trigger. I have a 4 wire coil, 26awg triggar, and 3 20awg power wires in parallel. I'm charging dirrectly off the collector with a 4007 diode. I'm thinking about dismantling my old set up and going to A 17wire solid state set up with 16 transistors charging directly off the collectors. All wires wrapped on a single spool. I'm also wondering if its better to have an air core. I am also charging car batteries not little ones like most people are using.

Comment

Mark

Sorry I did not reply earlier as I seem to have missed your post.

I do not use the FEG Page 46 solid state design. Mine just uses one feedback resistor as shown in the attached schematic. A big cap across the input supply rails is very important if a PSU is used because the charger will draw high current pulses from the supply. I have built the FEG Page 46 energiser and it works OK for small batteries.

I have also built wheel energisers but prefer solid state for charging. The wheel energiser is a good learning device but is only useful for serious use if scaled up and this is an expensive project with a need to house the energiser externally from the house because of noise and vibration. IMO if you want a good fast charge rate with quiet operation then go solid state. Small bike wheel type energisers are excellent for re-conditioning batteries, especially old ones that are sulfated.

A Bedini battery conditioning / charging setup for use as an off the grid solution will need an external environmental source of energy to run it such as solar / wind generators. IMO no amount of battery swapping will give a system that can self-sustain itself let alone provide 'free' power. At best the system will extend the life of the batteries having conditioned them. There's no free lunch here but there certainly is a lot of hype surrounding Bedini technology.

IMO John Bedini has given us an excellent introduction to his technology and this allows us to learn how to use it to our advantage. He has not given us the blueprint for a system that can be 'knocked-up' in the shed or backyard that will self run and take us OTG.

Hoppy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
                    Mark

Sorry I did not reply earlier as I seem to have missed your post.

I do not use the FEG Page 46 solid state design. Mine just uses one feedback resistor as shown in the attached schematic. A big cap across the input supply rails is very important if a PSU is used because the charger will draw high current pulses from the supply. I have built the FEG Page 46 energiser and it works OK for small batteries.

I have also built wheel energisers but prefer solid state for charging. The wheel energiser is a good learning device but is only useful for serious use if scaled up and this is an expensive project with a need to house the energiser externally from the house because of noise and vibration. IMO if you want a good fast charge rate with quiet operation then go solid state. Small bike wheel type energisers are excellent for re-conditioning batteries, especially old ones that are sulfated.

A Bedini battery conditioning / charging setup for use as an off the grid solution will need an external environmental source of energy to run it such as solar / wind generators. IMO no amount of battery swapping will give a system that can self-sustain itself let alone provide 'free' power. At best the system will extend the life of the batteries having conditioned them. There's no free lunch here but there certainly is a lot of hype surrounding Bedini technology.

IMO John Bedini has given us an excellent introduction to his technology and this allows us to learn how to use it to our advantage. He has not given us the blueprint for a system that can be 'knocked-up' in the shed or backyard that will self run and take us OTG.

Hoppy
                    Hi Hoppy,

Thanks for the schematic. I agree with you saying that small wheel energisers are good for reconditionning old sulfated batteries. I have found that for recharging large batteries they take too much time.

Is the battery shown on your schematic the drive battery or the charging battery ? What is connected between the two "X" marks ?

Thanks !

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by Druide View Post
                      Hi Hoppy,

Thanks for the schematic. I agree with you saying that small wheel energisers are good for reconditionning old sulfated batteries. I have found that for recharging large batteries they take too much time.

Is the battery shown on your schematic the drive battery or the charging battery ? What is connected between the two "X" marks ?

Thanks !

Michel
                      Hi Michael

The schematic is a 'front-end' extract of my full schematic and shows the drive battery. The 'X' marks are the position for a normally closed thermal switch which disconnects my trigger circuit in the case of an open circuit output.

Hoppy

Comment

Hi Michael

The schematic is a 'front-end' extract of my full schematic and shows the drive battery. The 'X' marks are the position for a normally closed thermal switch which disconnects my trigger circuit in the case of an open circuit output.

Hoppy
                        Thanks for your reply Hoppy !

I'd realy like to build this circuit but a few things puzzle me.
                        I suppose the thermal switch is installed on the transistors heat sink and a neon is connected across the transistor's collector and emitter.
                        Unlike the Bedini SSG circuit, the drive battery + is connected to the trigger coil's south pole, so the coil is fed by the battery via D1 R2 R1 and VR1, why is this for ?
                        Is the vertical line that comes down the "X" mark on the schematic and connects to R1, connects somewhere else (it crosses the horizontal bottom line) ?

Michel
                        Last edited by Druide; 11-05-2008, 12:38 AM. Reason: Add some details

Comment

Originally posted by Druide View Post
                          Thanks for your reply Hoppy !

I'd realy like to build this circuit but a few things puzzle me.
                          I suppose the thermal switch is installed on the transistors heat sink and a neon is connected across the transistor's collector and emitter.
                          Unlike the Bedini SSG circuit, the drive battery + is connected to the trigger coil's south pole, so the coil is fed by the battery via D1 R2 R1 and VR1, why is this for ?
                          Is the vertical line that comes down the "X" mark on the schematic and connects to R1, connects somewhere else (it crosses the horizontal bottom line) ?

Michel

Michel

I do not use neons because I have not found them very effective at high power when using multi power strand chargers. I use transient voltage suppresors (TVS diodes) rated at around 188V (4 x 47V devices in series) directly across the charger output to ground. The thermal switch is bonded onto two of these diodes. See attached schematic which shows how the TVS diodes are connected to the charger output.

On power-up the transistor is biased hard on via the trigger winding, VR1, R1 & R2 to start oscillation. This gives the necessary very fast leading edge pulse every time the transistor switches on. This is a blocking oscillator and works differently from the solid state energiser shown in the FEG book.

The junction of R1/R2 (trigger bus line) is extended to feed the trigger to additional power transistors / strands. These are termed 'slave' transistors. The first transistor shown in the schematic is the 'master'. The base of each slave transistor is connected to the trigger bus line via a current limiting resistor the same value as chosen for R2.

Hoppy
                          Attached Files

Comment

Michel

I do not use neons because I have not found them very effective at high power when using multi power strand chargers. I use transient voltage suppresors (TVS diodes) rated at around 188V (4 x 47V devices in series) directly across the charger output to ground. The thermal switch is bonded onto two of these diodes. See attached schematic which shows how the TVS diodes are connected to the charger output.

On power-up the transistor is biased hard on via the trigger winding, VR1, R1 & R2 to start oscillation. This gives the necessary very fast leading edge pulse every time the transistor switches on. This is a blocking oscillator and works differently from the solid state energiser shown in the FEG book.

The junction of R1/R2 (trigger bus line) is extended to feed the trigger to additional power transistors / strands. These are termed 'slave' transistors. The first transistor shown in the schematic is the 'master'. The base of each slave transistor is connected to the trigger bus line via a current limiting resistor the same value as chosen for R2.

Hoppy
                            Thanks alot Hoppy !

I think I have enough data to build this SS energiser, as soon as I can gather the parts. Will post my results.

Michel

Comment

I'm not at liberty to post the circuit schematic as it is mostly a Bedini design.
                              I don't mean to be rude or anything, but why is it that every time someone with a decent working device, for some reason can't show us the schematic. I understand wanting to protect copyrights and stuff, but isn't this forum suppossed to be a place where people help each other and not just say "I know how to do it, but I'm not telling you."

There are lots of very helpfull people here, but sometimes I just get frustrated with all this rubbish.

Sorry for my rant.

Steve.
                              You can view my vids here

http://www.youtube.com/SJohnM81

Comment

Working...
                              X