Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I spent my summer :)

Hi all
    For the last two and a half months I have been working on an interesting project with some of my friends and I decided to share this with you.
    As you know, there is an economical crisis in almost all the countries in the world right now. It is especially hard in our country. Our country joined the European union in 2004, since then many things have gone up, but more things have gotten worse. For example, the prices in our country are just a little higher than in the old European countries (UK, Germany, ect.), but in the same time our average salaries are 5-6 times lower. All the industry has been sold out, the retired people have big trouble live on their pensions. Many schools are being closed down, farmers can barely exist with what they can earn and on top of that we have the biggest inflation of all European countries. But in the same time our government is wasting money in building a bridge across a river of average width for about a billion dollars (yes, that is 1000 000 000$), building a national library for a little less money and wasting money all around in a whole lot of other useless projects. We all know that this is a way for someone with good connections to get very rich, because all those things simply can not cost that much. There are many examples in other countries when bigger and more complex objects were built for half as much money. And in the same time the government is asking us to live more economical and not to spend money too much money in things we do not need to help the economy. But what example are they showing us? I mean, we do need that bridge and maybe even that library, but not at that cost and not now, in this crisis time. There are so much other areas where that money is ore needed, for example kindergartens, schools, hospitals and fire stations which are in a bad shape right now. And they constantly keep generating such overpriced projects in the same time ignoring the priorities. The last straw was when they decided to waste about 80000$ to make a big, 4m high and 6m long sculpture of a pig out of foam. The pig would symbolize bacon which was the main export good in the forties. And this would be only a temporary sculpture till they get about 600 000$ for a stone pig. Isn't this just silly? Why waste the money in these times of need for a temporary sculpture? They could better fix a whole lot of holes in our roads with that money. This decision of theirs made a whole lot of people very angry, also me. Enough is enough.
    Then a silly idea came in my mind. Maybe we could calculate all expenses that such project would require and try to build our own pig sculpture to prove that it indeed can be done MUCH cheaper As we were talking with some friends, they said that they would be supporting me with a donation if I indeed tried to do this. I proposes this idea in some forums and got amazingly huge support from hundreds of people that wanted to show what they think about our government in such a humorous way. We decided to make the pig in form of a money box in golden color, that symbolizes how our government is asking us to save money, but in the same time they are wasting money everywhere they can. The pig would be about 4m high, 2.5m in diameter and 5m long. And this sculpture would eventually be placed somewhere in the capital city near the government buildings.
    When I officially opened a web site for this project with all the donation info, there was so much support from all the people, that at the first week we had already 1000$. So we started working. We are no artists or sculptors, so we had a lot of problems to solve, but eventually we managed to build a big, golden moneybox in a shape of a pig. We worked only at our free time after work, that is why it took so long, but we were constantly supported by people around and encouraged. When government officials saw how much support we had what people thought about them, they decided to abandon the idea of a foam sculpture thus saving 60000$, I realize it is not much, but it is a first step and I hope that this project will encourage others to be more active to do something about the situation we're in. We decided to keep working on our pig so that it could be a constant reminder for the government for what people think about them and their pig-work. Finally the pig was ready and we placed it in my town on the towns 800 year anniversary. The response was simply amazing, there were thousands and thousands of people who came and wanted to take pictures of the pig. They even had to stand in lines to take the picture.Everyone just loved our pig.
    So the project was a big success and showed us that we in fact CAN and need to do something about the situation we are in. We have spent about 2000$ on this sculpture and have still 600$ of the donated money left that we will give to charity showing the government officials how they should be working. Not a single penny will remain for ourselves.
    Here are some pictures of our little, golden pigy:

It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Congratulations!!!!

Hello Jetijs!

Your post was so funny and poignant! I loved it! My deepest admiration to you for building that pig!!! Your conviction, follow through and sheer determination have blown me away...

Where is the pig now? (Hey, we can make a game out of that, let's find the pig! Ohhh, that might not be too hard around this country... )

~Viviana -

"The divine is not something high above us. It is in heaven, it is in earth, it is inside us..." - Morihei Ueshiba

Comment

Thanks Viviana
        I am just not used to write long texts in English
        The pig is now in our town square, but we will soon take it to place somewhere in capital city for all people to see, especially the ones whose fault all this is Also I have to say a big thanks to our forum member Lemontree, who also participated in this project and did a great work. This shows how one can make a difference (a small one but still a difference) in a non violent and humorous way.
        I just thought that this would be interesting to other forum members.

Jetijs

Comment

Jetijs,

"When government officials saw how much support we had what people thought about them, they decided to abandon the idea of a foam sculpture thus saving 60000$"

THAT IS PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How dare you say that isn't much. That is HUGE. You came up with the idea and actually got so much support that the government changed their minds all because of that!!

I wonder if you could possibly make a youtube about it. I find it incredibly inspiring in showing civilian power and I'm sure others would too. Anyway if you make one please post it and I will send it everywhere.

(Strange aside: In high school I had a teacher who claimed she used to be royalty in Latvia but got ousted during a government turn over. She was a bit of an odd ball. I guess her story is true but I'm not sure. She used to wear all this big jewelry, not sure if it was real or not.)

Jessica
          Keep your mind on the aether www.PathsToSucceed.com

Comment

pork barrel spending

This is awesome Jetijs!!

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but in the states, that kind of ridiculous govt spending to benefit friends with construction companies and other absurdities is actually called:

Pork Barrel Spending! How appropriate!

The term pork barrel politics refers to government spending that is intended to benefit constituents of a politician in return for their political support, either in the form of campaign contributions or votes. The term originated early in American history, when slaves were sometimes given a barrel of salt pork as a reward and had to compete among themselves to get their share of the handout.[1][2] Typically, it involves funding for government programs whose economic or service benefits are concentrated in a particular area but whose costs are spread among all taxpayers. Public works projects and agricultural subsidies are the most commonly cited examples, but they do not exhaust the possibilities.[3] Pork barrel spending is often allocated through last-minute additions to appropriation bills.
            In 1991, Citizens Against Government Waste and the Congressional Porkbusters Coalition developed seven criteria for a project to qualify as pork:[4]
            • Requested by only one chamber of Congress;
            • Not specifically authorized;
            • Not competitively awarded;
            • Not requested by the President;
            • Greatly exceeds the President’s budget request or the previous year’s funding;
            • Not the subject of congressional hearings; or
            • Serves only a local or special interest.
            above is from wikipedia
            Sincerely,
            Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
            Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
            RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

Amazing work

That's Great Work!
              Almost all of the governments in the world are doing these silly things. Your pig is so lovely. I am hoping for the total transformation of the world in the next decades.
              Humility, an important property for a COP>1 system.
              http://blog.hexaheart.org

Comment

Jetijs,

Your project is amazing. Congratulations for the many things you have accomplished by doing this!!!

Thank you!
                The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen.
                -Eden Phillpotts

www.pathsforpeace.com

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

Comment

Thank you all very much

Comment

Fabulous!

FABULOUS, Jetijs!!!

What you have done is so very wonderful and inspiring!!! I congratulate and honor you and Lemontree for creating such a delightful way to knock some sense into your government officials and creating a very wonderful piece of art that the public can enjoy as well!!! As an art teacher, I give you an A-PLUS for the perfect creation of your golden piggy sculpture!!! He is AWESOME, as You Are!!!

so much for sharing the pics and the story with us!!!

With Much Love and Gratitude,

Pamela
                    My PATHS Website
                    My Art Website
                    My Paintings As Prints
                    My Facebook

Comment

What a fantastic statement.

Hat's off to your creativity and commitment!

Kevin

PATHS For Healing
                      Energetic Science Ministries
                      Meditation at the Click of a Button, Guaranteed!

ESM Forum Support Link

Comment

Somehow, I missed this post until just now when I received my ESM newsletter. What an amazing and inspiring story.

And that is one HUGE pig!!!

You write beautifully as well
                        Namaste,
                        Pamela
                        Discover the Single Greatest Health Science Breakthrough of the Century

Comment

Congratulations and thanks for sharing a great example of how one idea and enough belief in it can positivivly impact many people. Your execution of the project was brilliant. Keep sharing those ideas.

(BTW, you write better than some Americans I know...)
                          Blessings on the journey, Glenn
                          PLEASE HELP JEANIE FUND HER CANCER TREATMENTS
                          Handmade Ceramic Gifts
                          Discover-PATHS
                          [

Comment

Hey Jeti,
                            i am not sure how to put this completely in words, but at least say it is very good to hear. A very good example of what we are capable of doing when we put ourselves into it. I have been reading this forum off and on since early this year, and you are one of the few people i recall with such a consistency in fully trying out the new ideas with what feels like an openness to trying out the idea without a limited idea about it. I remember the (custom) laminations you made up for one the pulsed motor designs. Might have been Peter Lindeman, but not sure.
                            I can just see that golden piggy filling with money eventually. Just like your consistency in the projects on this forum where you have worked away diligently in your own good time, i can see the golden piggy eventually filling with money.
                            It is really great to see such amazing results that has come from such a pro active approach. A living example.
                            All the best in bringing about and seeing the fruits of your positive intentions for you country.
                            You will come to see great things if you keep up as you have been.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words

Comment

Working...
                              X