Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if there is no ground wire in outlet box can i use a gfci?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if there is no ground wire in outlet box can i use a gfci?

Would a gfci ground my outlet?

Im guessing this outlet can only be truley protected with a surge protector?

Comment

A GFCI will absolutely work without a grounding conductor. A GFCI measures any current difference between the live and neutral wires. If they don't match, current is going somewhere it isn't supposed to and it trips. It doesn't require a ground to do that.

Dom

Comment

Google knows the answer for this one

Search:no ground wire in outlet box can i use a gfci?

Third link:

2-Wire (no ground) Electrical Outlet Installation Wiring Details.How to wire an electrical plug outlet or wall plug when no ground wire is present

With a bunch of nice pictures http://www.energeticforum.com/images...s/thumbsup.gif

Comment

Originally posted by dominator9999 View Post
          A GFCI will absolutely work without a grounding conductor. A GFCI measures any current difference between the live and neutral wires. If they don't match, current is going somewhere it isn't supposed to and it trips. It doesn't require a ground to do that.

Dom
          are u sure a gfci can protect outlets the house catching fire and people if power surge occurs?theres only a ground at the main and no grounds on outlets

Comment

Its a waste using a gfi on a 2 wire system. A standard outlet will work fine as long as its on a breaker. The outlet should match the wire size rating. 15 amp or 20 amp. The breaker needs to be matched too. You dont want a 20 amp breaker on #14 wire.

Comment

Working...
            X