PDA

View Full Version : Alternate SG Tuning method?

ren
04-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi everyone, I stumbled upon something interesting with my build today. The pics speak for themselves, but I will explain as well. The cap sits at 1 volt over the run battery, but I noticed if resistance is dropped and amps increase the voltage in the cap actually decreases. There is a definate sweet spot when the resistance is correct the caps voltage jumps up. Raising resistance any further will cause the voltage to drop slightly.

I wonder if this is perhaps a way to find the highest voltage spike? It would suggest to me that there is more radiant or high voltage at that point of resistance which increases the voltage in the cap.

Any thoughts or comments?

muttdogg
06-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Hey, Ren,
You might want to put an AM radio next to your device. When the hum sounds good, you have your sweet spot. There is a guy at overunity.con who is really good at tuning motors. Course if you have an ear, you can hear it on AM.

rickoff
06-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Your assessment seems perfectly logical to me, Ren. Good circuit pic, too. Takes some time to label everything as you did, but it's a good way to display a circuit photo. Say, how are you coming along on the Window Motor build? Can hardly wait to see that monster in action!

Rick :)

ren
06-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys, you rescued my lonely thread!:thumbsup: Thanks Muttdog, I actually havent tuned the device with a radio before, might be worth a go. I was specifically interested in the relationship between amp draw and what was stored in the capacitor on my configuration. I have since changed that schematic to the full cap pulser setup. It was an interesting learning experience anyway.

@ Rick. The build goes slowly due to financial problems at the moment. I am getting some hexagons laser cut this week to rebuild my rotor, I want it to have no wobbles! It is easy to put it all back together, took me 20 mins to take it apart, 10 of those mins just to pull the magnets off! I am still undecided as to whether the steel plate should be replaced with aluminum, I havent really heard reports either way regarding performance of mild steel exterior or non magnetic exterior.

I built the bipolar schematic for fun and hooked it up to my little monopole to fiddle around with it. Its an awesome little circuit! Makes some cool little noises too. I put pots on all the resistors so it was fully adjustable. Interesting and seemed to have just a little more torque, but I have no way to measure scientifically.

One thing that threw me was its charging wasnt as pronounced as the SG circuit. Rick has said its harder to tune for charging, but can be done. So I am tossing up now which circuit to use. I think I will end up going with the SG, Id like to wind two triggers too, so I can switch it on the north and south poles. Ideally Id like it to be ten filar, 4 power and one trigger for the norths and 4 power and one trigger for the souths. Maybe thats a bit of over kill, if I can figure out how to run the same power coils for both north and south in the SG configuration I could save myself a few bucks worth of wire:).

I would jump straight into the full bi polar schematic as this is designed for the one power coil, I am however a little unsure of its charging ability. Bottom line I want useable torque and charging, maybe I cant have both, we'll see. I might just have to dive in head first and get my hands dirty, I dont have much information or results from other replications of this size to compare to. Oh well, gotta step out on a limb sooner or later:thumbsup:

selamatg
06-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone, I stumbled upon something interesting with my build today. The pics speak for themselves, but I will explain as well. The cap sits at 1 volt over the run battery, but I noticed if resistance is dropped and amps increase the voltage in the cap actually decreases. There is a definate sweet spot when the resistance is correct the caps voltage jumps up. Raising resistance any further will cause the voltage to drop slightly.

I wonder if this is perhaps a way to find the highest voltage spike? It would suggest to me that there is more radiant or high voltage at that point of resistance which increases the voltage in the cap.

Any thoughts or comments?

Hi Ren,

Do you have any schematic of this circuit? I interest to replicated to find best tunning for my SG.....

Thank you and :cheers:
Selamatg

dambit
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Ren,

If you have a scope you can just hook it up and run the machine with the charging battery dissconnected. Then adjust the pot until the spike is at its largest.

I have posted a video showing this method.

YouTube - Video 8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS1uPEA3ZTE)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve.

ren
06-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey Steve,

Unfortunately I dont have much equipment, the multimeter is about the most hi tech thing I have!

dambit
06-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Oh ok. Your way should work fine then. If you are looking for a scope, I got mine on ebay for about AUD$100.

N O G
06-24-2008, 12:07 PM
excellent poor mans reference grab a small battery powered AM radio and tune to u hear the noise of the generater pulses (hold it close to the coil or batterty)good or what then .................. mic the radio sound to an audio interface to your computer into a DAW sound and vision on you measure list now.......... for a cheap basic setup ...hope the helps ;)