Use for Old Golf Cart Batteries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use for Old Golf Cart Batteries...

Hey everyone - I have four old golf cart batteries (6v each) that still put out quite a bit of power even though they have sulfated and expanded their enclosures. I was hoping someone could provide some recommendations on which course of action I should take on reconditioning them. I managed to build Rene's pulse circuit that supposedly dissolves the sulfate on the plates. This process involves discharging the batteries completely and recharging them using the pulse circuit. My question is how to put a load on them that will completely run the batteries down since most devices require 12v? Even through this process, would they be worth the trouble long term to run anything besides lighting?

The other option would be to eliminate the acid and replace it with an alum solution which would create a smoother and consistent discharge rate, which I've done with a car battery before and seems to work quite well. The problem is that most alum batteries will sit at a lower voltage 5v rather than 6v. If the batteries will only be good for lighting anyway, it makes sense to go this route and run the lights on a joule ringer to eliminate an inverter and just forget running anything else with them.

Just wanted to get your thoughts before I start pouring acid out and all that. Thoughts?
Working...
X