Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejuvanating Industrial Lithium Batteries

Hi All,

I am looking into on the possibility of rejuvanating industrial lithium batteries as some are not recharging. They are made by Valance and are lithium iron magnesium phosphate (LiFeMgPO4) energy storage solutions.

U-ChargeĀ® XP Lithium Iron Magnesium Phosphate Battery Modules | Valence Technology

The ones we are using are the 18 - 19v variety.

Here is the data sheet:-

u_charge_xp_module_datasheet_aug_12_2.pdf

I thought it would be advisable to ask a bit of advice first instead of just sticking one on the end of an SSG.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Peter

How to Make a Bedini Crystal Battery
    The pure in heart will see the light.

Comment

I'm not at all familiar with that particular battery chemistry. Where did you get these batteries? I can't see any reference on their site as to price or even dealers who sell them. I saw a couple used laptop batteries on eBay with that name but I don't know if it's the same thing. They sound safer the Li-Ion. Maybe contact the company about how they would react to high voltage DC pulses (like from the SSG). Of course they probably will want to sell you their charger but maybe they can give you some ideas of the safe charging methods. Then again if they aren't taking a charge any more you could certainly give it a try but I would suggest that with Lithium in their chemistry that they be closely monitored while charging since Lithium can be dangerous (although I'm not sure how much so with this chemistry).
      Last edited by ewizard; 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM.
      There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

Hello Woodski

Originally posted by woodski View Post
        Hi All,

I am looking into on the possibility of rejuvanating industrial lithium batteries as some are not recharging. They are made by Valance and are lithium iron magnesium phosphate (LiFeMgPO4) energy storage solutions.

U-ChargeĀ® XP Lithium Iron Magnesium Phosphate Battery Modules | Valence Technology

The ones we are using are the 18 - 19v variety.

Here is the data sheet:-

[ATTACH]12118[/ATTACH]

I thought it would be advisable to ask a bit of advice first instead of just sticking one on the end of an SSG.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Peter

Hello Woodski,

Those are very nice Batteries!!

Now they are built in a sealed casing as a whole Pack, as I can see their two plugs to be connected to Chargers and BMS.
        This Lithium Family Batteries are basically very similar in maintenance and charging spec's...The main withdraw they have when connected in sealed packs is that just one battery in the pack when being in short or open...the whole battery will not take a charge...

Lithium Batteries Cells are @3.2 Volts average ..they could only go Minimum Charge to 2.9 V, any value below that will damage battery, as they could go Max to 4.2 V approximately...This is the reason that in order for them to last in Packs...their chargers MUST have a "Balancer" either built in...or connected every time we charge them...

The "Pre-Balancing" Stage MUST BE DONE always, before Charger starts sending a Full Power Charge at the two ends terminals. Balancing is done through those connectors there that have few terminals:

One common Negative and as many cells positives as the whole pack have...BUT, they are connected in series...so, it would read when Negative connected to Multi-Meter...Find the First pin that will read around 3.0 V...then right next you will find @6.0V...and so on...and If your Battery is not getting charged up...there must be one Terminal where it will NOT ADD UP...that is your bad cell...and they could always be more than one...

The only remedy to this would be to have access to that bad cell BUT isolated...in order that you could try to excite its Terminals with a very low pulsing charge...that is around 0.7 V/Minute...and see if it will retain a charge...

Normally to do this more likely you will have to make your own single cell charger...that you could regulate it manually without any expensive processing charger...they will reject to charge a faulty Pack or even a Single Cell if it does not comply with Min-Max Values...allowed by its manufacturer.

I have saved many cells like this...as I also have not being able to ...
        There are many places that have very simple Lithium Batteries Chargers Diagrams..with very cheap parts...

However, BE AWARE...That splitting apart ANY Lithium Sealed Battery is like trying to disconnect a Time Bomb that its Clock is running...and disconnecting or short circuiting the WRONG Cables...could Explode and cause Serious Injury or Death. Therefore If you are not "Familiar" with this Batteries and Charging Systems...I seriously advise to consult someone who is.
        IF You try to apply an exceeding voltage to charge a Lithium Battery over Manufacturer Max recommended You are under High Risk...However, first "symptoms" that Battery will manifests are:
        Excessive Heat and Swelling of its plastic wrap-case...The Bomb is about to Detonate...

Regards

Ufopolitics
        Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
        X