Motor-heads unite! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor-heads unite! :)

If anyone out there knows people that work with tractor, bobcats...etc...They would understand the hydrostatic transmission. This is off the shelf tech just used in a novel way.

In the 1970's during the oil crisis a man called Vincent Carman came up with a system to increase car mileage dramatically, with a hydraulic transmission hybrid. The Carter administration sat on him. Carman thought he would get a hero's welcome but was stonewalled at every turn. I think his ideas were practical and do able and hopeful internet buzz will finally get his ideas out.

Vincent Carman's prototype got 38.5mpg City with a 4200lb behemoth that normally gets 15mpg (a 250% improvement!). A Prius gets ~50mpg city in a chassis that would get about 25-30mpg city (a mere 100%improvement). This would suggest a hydraulic Prius could get 65-70mpg city! Of course a Prius only has a 100lb battery, so it is hardly a hybrid with so little storage. Thus the poor mileage. The gas engine is really doing most of the work.

Here is an article from 1977
    CAN THIS TRANSMISSION REALLY DOUBLE YOUR CAR' S MILEAGE?

Ernie Parker a tech teacher at tech college got together with his students and made another version in 1978:
    THIS CAR TRAVELS 75 MILES ON A SINGLE GALLON OF GASOLINE!

Ernie's sons now do these transmission for motorcycles and off road vehicles and sell DVD's on how to do it.
    Welcome to Hydraulic Innovations

And a forum for projects--some sweet stuff
    Jeff's Diesel Hydrostatic 3-wheeler - Page 21 - Hydraulic Innovations

They should get together with Aaron, Peter, and John Bedini sometime!

Totally Right On!

Sykavy,

Thanks for starting this thread and providing those links. I'm glad to know that the people who developed this back in the 1970's haven't given up.

I have been promoting these ideas for years. Here is a link to the page on my website for High Mileage Cars:

Free Energy | Transportation

Enjoy,
    Peter
    Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Open System Thermodynamics Perpetual Motion Reality Electric Motor Secrets
    Battery Secrets Magnet Secrets Tesla's Radiant Energy Real Rain Making
    Bedini SG: The Complete Handbook Series Magnetic Energy Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lindemann View Post
      Sykavy,

Thanks for starting this thread and providing those links. I'm glad to know that the people who developed this back in the 1970's haven't given up.

I have been promoting these ideas for years. Here is a link to the page on my website for High Mileage Cars:

Free Energy | Transportation

Enjoy,
      Peter
      Oh yeah I forgot you had that on your site. Very good!! I have even better news the EPA has let the cat out of the bad! Check this out
      Hydraulic Hybrid Research | Clean Automotive Technology | US EPA

Write your congressman that the car industry is sitting on car efficiency that can get 80+mpg!
      Full Series Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicle (HHV) in a Passenger Car Test Chassis
      In the 1990s, the Partnership for New Generation of Vehicles was established to help U.S. automakers design a family-sized sedan that could achieve 80 mpg. A team of engineers working at EPA’s National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Michigan, succeeded in meeting this goal by using a revolutionary type of hydraulic hybrid. The chassis shown at right represents a large car platform, like a Taurus or Impala.

This HHV:

Achieved 80+ mpg on combined EPA city/highway driving cycles

Achieved 0-60 miles per hour in 8 seconds

Used a small 1.9 liter diesel engine

Showed no need for expensive lightweight materials to improve fuel economy

And they have done prototypes.
      Demonstration Vehicles | Clean Automotive Technology | US EPA

Say what you want about President Obama ( I am not a fan but...) is pushing the auto industry to accept a new fuel economy rating of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025,Back in July of 2011, President Obama, a few days after giving a speech on new MPG standards for the US, was asked if he felt the future 50 MPG goal was too high a mark. He responded by saying that he, “knew for a fact,” that there are cars available today that get 80 miles per gallon.

Now you know he was telling the truth.

See perseverance pays off

Comment

I would like to thank the person or group that developed this technology .In a perfect world the free market would have rewarded them for their outstanding work. The Powers that be have somehow stopped this from getting to market.
        Another technology that begs to be used with this hydraulic drive transmission is Raphial Morgado’s MYT engine. These two technologies are like a hand and glove. The MYT engine could drive a pump and pressurize the hydraulic fluid. MYT technology is also convertible into a very efficient pump or even a final drive unit to turn the drive wheels.
        In a perfect world we would have a vehicle with these technologies sitting in our drive ways right now instead these remarkable inventers are less famous then Preston Tucker.

SJSU Part 11: Massive Yet Tiny (MYT) Demo (1) by Raphial Morgado - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroMassInertia View Post
          I would like to thank the person or group that developed this technology .In a perfect world the free market would have rewarded them for their outstanding work. The Powers that be have somehow stopped this from getting to market.
          Another technology that begs to be used with this hydraulic drive transmission is Raphial Morgado’s MYT engine. These two technologies are like a hand and glove. The MYT engine could drive a pump and pressurize the hydraulic fluid. MYT technology is also convertible into a very efficient pump or even a final drive unit to turn the drive wheels.
          In a perfect world we would have a vehicle with these technologies sitting in our drive ways right now instead these remarkable inventers are less famous then Preston Tucker.

SJSU Part 11: Massive Yet Tiny (MYT) Demo (1) by Raphial Morgado - YouTube
          ZeroMass, Morgado's Engine seems to be great in theory but many have pointed out that in practice such an engine would be complex and have issues with heat removal. It's not original design either, swing piston engines have been around since World War 2.

There's an engine that I came across recently called the Shepherd Engine, which is a two stroke diesel consisting of two sets of static pistons and a reciprocating sleeve. The engine eliminates the crankshaft and as a result produces high torque and has the potential of eliminating the need of the gearbox except for the forward and reverse gears. More information on the engine, along with other compact and efficient engines, can be found in the following link:

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...erd#post177198

I sent an email to the company requesting further information about the engine's performance. They were only willing to state that the engine is very light and is expected to be released in 2013.

Comment

Gigadrons

Came across this guy/company,
            Gigadrons.

He has a working prototype and a lot of animations.
            Very simple concept.

Home - Gig high density thermo-hydraulic power for green, safe VTOL aircraft, land transport, electricity, air-con & atmospheric drinking water.

Comment

the Larsen RADAX engine would be perfect for an HHV! Thanks for sharing everyone!

Comment

Hi all,
                Here is an engine I have been watching since about 2006-2007 the Cyclone Engine. It uses any fuel with no engine modifications and emits far fewer pollutants than internal combustion engines. It seems to always be getting closer to market but never quite there. I seriously looked into purchasing a year or so back, and found that sales would be only to licensed dealers with large minimum orders, like marine, lawn care, and auto companies with manufacturing facilities already working.
                The engine can be seen here Cyclone Power Technologies - Cyclone Engine
                Gene

Comment

Hi sykavy,
                  I want to thank you for starting this thread, for I have much interest here. In the late 60's I dated a girl in Iowa who's father ran a rather successful small rural repair shop, he would work on anything cars, tractors farm equipment, small engines, ect. He was a very forward thinking person and had many mechanical gadgets in his shop that he had built. I at that time I as was my father and brothers a drag racer and had only big horse power and high speed in my mind.
                  Now to tie this to your topic, he spent some time trying to explain to me an idea he had to build a hydraulic car not needing a transmission and using the wheel drive motors during breaking to build pressure in a storage tank for latter use. The hole idea was very much like this Valentin Technologies, Inc. - The 170MPG Car
                  I only wish I would have got it. duhh.
                  My great uncle used to say "so young we are so smart, so old we are so wise."
                  Best regards, Gene
                  ps- sykavy please take a look at the link, I think you will enjoy. It especially means more to me perhaps because it's right here in my home state of Wisconsin. What no cheese head smilies? Hey Aaron!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gene gene View Post
                    Hi sykavy,
                    I want to thank you for starting this thread, for I have much interest here. In the late 60's I dated a girl in Iowa who's father ran a rather successful small rural repair shop, he would work on anything cars, tractors farm equipment, small engines, ect. He was a very forward thinking person and had many mechanical gadgets in his shop that he had built. I at that time I as was my father and brothers a drag racer and had only big horse power and high speed in my mind.
                    Now to tie this to your topic, he spent some time trying to explain to me an idea he had to build a hydraulic car not needing a transmission and using the wheel drive motors during breaking to build pressure in a storage tank for latter use. The hole idea was very much like this Valentin Technologies, Inc. - The 170MPG Car
                    I only wish I would have got it. duhh.
                    My great uncle used to say "so young we are so smart, so old we are so wise."
                    Best regards, Gene
                    ps- sykavy please take a look at the link, I think you will enjoy. It especially means more to me perhaps because it's right here in my home state of Wisconsin. What no cheese head smilies? Hey Aaron!!!
                    Thanks Gene for the kind words. If you are still into cars or still have friends who fix tractors, you should get the DVD on the hydraulic motorcycle.

The hydraulic motors are in the the wheel itself! Which means you could have a car with no axles! Pretty cool looking and performance. 4X4 with no real significant losses. Each wheel would be independent and you could climb rocks like a spider!

BTW the Valintine was what Peter was talking about on his site in the 2nd post.

The thing that blows my mind is not enough people know about the tech. Now it isn't a totally "green" tech nor is it the answer to all our needs, but if one truck manufacturer produced it, it would be a significant improvement.

Or even better if truckers trucks could run like a "diesel" trains or a tug-boats the saving to our country in the cost of delivering goods would be significant! This is the idea that hydraulics works on a more efficient way of using the motor. Get this info to truckers and teamsters because sooner or later they will see it as a real help to their cost of living and mke it them selves...that's how it will start. People need to see it working
                    Last edited by sykavy; 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be cool?

Didja ever wonder what has become of those cars that Vincent Carman converted to hydraulic drive in the 70's? I have...but have been unable to get a clue as to where they might be, or even if they still exist.
                      About 8 years ago I read that Vince passed away in '93 or so. He was in Oregon and left a son...so the story goes, and that's all there was. He'd started his work in the late sixties or early seventies and seems to have continued to improve his innovation into the 1980's...or at least according to the patents he filed. At the last he tried to incorporate all the various separate components of his original idea into a single unit that would replace the entire mechanical drivetrain. Don't know if he actually built that unit. Money was obviously a real problem for him. I remember reading once that a shop that had done a lot of work on those cars had seized them until he paid what he owed them. Perhaps he put the cars up as collateral for any investors. His plan didn't produce any payback, so they seized the cars. Whoever those people were, if they took the cars they might still have them, not wanting anyone to examine them and benefit from their investment. But we have his patents that are now in the public domain. Whatever, it sure would be great if someone somewhere who knows where those cars are - if they still exist - came forward and told us. Just seeing them would be a treat.

Comment

I have no desire to highjack sykavy’s thread but I have a slightly different approach to this problem that I think might be of interest. While the use of a hydrostatic transmission as a means to produce a continually variable drive is valid and as we see has been proven to work it does require the use of expensive pumps and drive motors.

What if you could do something similar with simple gears and pulleys? That is what I have done. I have a transmission that with the input running at a constant speed the output shaft can be slowed from a 1:1 ratio down to zero (output shaft stopped, input still turning) and then back up to a 1:1 ratio in the reverse direction. This all takes place WITHOUT the use of any clutches or the physical shifting or changing of gears.

However it will not store energy or provide regenerative breaking but is a whole lot easier to build as the parts do not require any extreme precision to make.

Below is a drawing of how it is configured.

OK so what we have here is an input shaft that has a chain sprocket mounted to it and a variable speed pulley.

The sprocket has a chain connecting to a second sprocket (1:1 ratio) with is shaft going to the center element of a differential gear.

The second variable speed pulley rotates freely on shaft for the sprocket and is connect to one of the side gears of the differential.

The output shaft is the opposing side gear of the differential.

Now if the input shaft is turning; by varying the ratio of the variable speed pulleys from a 1:1 ratio to a 3:1 ratio will cause the output to slow down and stop and commence turning in the reverse direction and speed back up to a 1:1 ratio.

Obviously the “V” belt for the pulleys is the weak link here, with enough torque it can and will slip. However unlike a straight pulley drive here the torque is split between the pulleys and the differential gears.

So unless you are familiar with differential gearing by now you’re probably tearing your hair out trying to figure out how it works. If so you're normal.

To analyze differential gearing you need to go through it one step at a time.

So first assume the variable speed pulleys are set to a 1:1 ratio.
                        Now if the input is turning then the center gears (sometime called spider gears) and the side gear driven by the pulley are turning at the same speed and essentially are lock together which in turn cause the output gear to be locked in sync with them. Thus everything is turning at a 1:1 ratio.

Now assume the belt was removed from the pulleys. With the input turning and a load on the output power coming into the center gears from the sprocket will cause the side gear and lower pulley to turn at twice the input shaft speed. So now if we replace the belt and set the pulley ratio at 2:1 this will force to output gear to stop turning. Even though the other gears are busily spinning away.

OK now it gets a little tricky. To get a 1:1 ratio in reverse the pulleys are set to a 3:1 ratio. But first assume the belt is again removed but this time the lower pulley is held stationary. Now if the input turns one revolution CW this will cause the output to turn two revolutions CCW. Next we put the belt back on and remove the chain from the sprockets and hold the lower sprocket from moving. Now as we turn the input one turn CW the output will turn one turn CW. Finally we combine these results, two CCW and one CW giving as one CCW output turn for the one CW input turn.

There now wasn’t that simple?

Comment

Sorry I didn't quite catch what you were talking about. Here is a cool video that shows how the idea works.
                          How Heavy Duty Series Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicles (HHVs) Work - YouTube

The only thing I was thinking is the hydraulic motors could be right in the weeks for larger vehicles, they have incredible tork.

Comment

This is a good basic video to understand the basics
                            hydraulic and pneumatic part 1 - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                            X