View Single Post

Old 10-17-2009, 06:01 AM

Hi Jessica;
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Quote:
What I meant about the fig tree was it was a destructive act like turning over the tables, different from how Jesus usually behaved.

I'm not saying Jesus did not really die but I still see the period before his death as an example of a man losing his faith, thus the destructive acts of cursing the fig tree to never bear fruit again and knocking over the tables.
I must tell you, you are the only person I have ever heard express that opinion on these two incidents or anything leading up to Jesus' death on the cross. Wouldn't that be like God losing faith in himself? I would think that an impossibility.

Please see my last post to Rick concerning Jesus' actions in the temple. I believe they and his demeanor conformed to the pattern of the rest of his life. You may also see it here;
Matthew 21 Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

As to the fig tree it was not a senseless act of destruction. Here, briefly, is what occurred;
I. Christ returned in the morning to Jerusalem, v. 18.
II. As he went, he hungered. He was a Man, and submitted to the infirmities of nature.
III.He was a poor Man, and had no present supply (of money).
IV. Christ therefore hungered, that he might have occasion to work this miracle, in cursing and so withering the barren fig-tree, and therein might give us an instance of his justice and his power, and both instructive.

V. See his justice, v. 19. He went to it, expecting fruit, because it had leaves; but, finding none, he sentenced it to a perpetual barrenness. The miracle had its significance, as well as others of his miracles. All Christ's miracles hitherto were wrought for the good of men, and proved the power of his grace and blessing; all he did was for the benefit and comfort of his friends, none for the terror or punishment of his enemies; but now, at last, to show that all judgment is committed to him, and that he is able not only to save, but to destroy, he would give a specimen of the power of his wrath and curse; yet this not on any man, woman, or child, because the great day of his wrath is not yet come, but on an inanimate tree; that is set forth for an example. The scope of it is the same with the parable of the fig-tree, Lu. 13:6.
VI. This cursing of the barren fig-tree represents the state of hypocrites in general; it teaches us that the fruit of fig-trees may justly be expected from those that have the leaves. Christ looks for the power of religion from those that make profession of it
VII. It represents the state of the nation and people of the Jews in particular; they were a fig-tree planted in Christ's way, as a church. observe the disappointment they gave to our Lord Jesus. He came among them, expecting to find some fruit.
VII. He passed upon them, that never any fruit should grow upon them or be gathered from them, as a church or as a people, from henceforward for ever. Never any good came from them (except the particular persons among them that believe), after they rejected Christ.
Last, the disciples admired the effect of Christ's curse (v. 20); They marvelled; no power could do it but his, who spake, and it was done. They marvelled at the suddenness of the thing; How soon is the fig-tree withered away!

I use excerpts from Henry's commentaries. If you care to read it all it is here;

Matthew 21 Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

Jessica, I believe in "rightly dividing the truth" (II Tim. 2:15). I hope I have helped to show you what really went on here and why.

Sincerely,

Al