View Single Post

Old 10-15-2009, 06:13 AM

What's the underlying reason we're in this situation?

Quote by Matthew Jones:

Quote:
are we not following in Christ's footsteps and learning from his example
Well, some are, some are not, and that is the crux of the matter.

The events in Matthew 22:15-22 are explained in depth in Matthew Henry's commentaries, which you can find here. Matthew 22 Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

For those who don't know of M. Henry he was a pastor/theologian in the U.S. in the early 1800's. His commentaries have have been a standard used in Christian theological courses for over 200 years.

This excerpt is the question and answer in a nutshell:

Quote:
Now the question was, Whether it was lawful to pay these taxes voluntarily, or, Whether they should not insist upon the ancient liberty of their nation, and rather suffer themselves to be distrained upon? The ground of the doubt was, that they were Abraham's seed, and should not by consent be in bondage to any man, Jn. 8:33. God had given them a law, that they should not set a stranger over them. Did not that imply, that they were not to yield any willing subjection to any prince, state, or potentate, that was not of their own nation and religion? This was an old mistake, arising from that pride and that haughty spirit which bring destruction and a fall. Jeremiah, in his time, though he spoke in God's name, could not possibly beat them off it, nor persuade them to submit to the king of Babylon; and their obstinacy in that matter was then their ruin (Jer. 27:12, 13): and now again they stumbled at the same stone; and it was the very thing which, in a few years after, brought final destruction upon them by the Romans. They quite mistook the sense both of the precept and of the privilege, and, under colour of God's word, contended with his providence, when they should have kissed the rod, and accepted the punishment of their iniquity.
You can find further examples in I Peter 2:13, Romans 13:1-7 and Acts
5:34-39 has examples of 2 groups who rose up in armed rebellion against unjust authority and were destroyed. And of course the Romans finally destroyed the rebellious Judeans in A.D.70 as Henry mentions in the excerpt above.

We are actually in a better position than they were as they were ruled by Rome under an appointed dictator(Herod)who was not even a Judean. They had no civil rights. We, on the other hand, can vote for our officials. One big problem is too many people don't vote and many of those that do make a wrong choice,thus leading to the situation we are now in.

Quote:
You may remember that the only occurrence in the Bible of Jesus becoming enraged and acting violently was when he overturned the tables of the moneychangers. - Matthew 21:12
Rick, there is no indication that Jesus was enraged, not in the punctuation or the words. Indeed, Mark said "he taught" the lesson of keeping the temple pure and free of commerce, a good example of teaching by word and deeds.

Quote:
When Jesus overturned the tables, it was right before his death. I believe his death is / can be (many interpretations to the Bible as it is deep on many levels) a metaphor for spiritual death, or lack of faith.
Jessica, I don't know how anyone can get the interpretation of his death being a metaphor. That is only open to interpretation by those who do not understand the Bible. He was not forsaken as in obedience he was carrying out the course laid out by God in prophesy. His suffering on the cross was so great, more than any person before or since, and was so terrible that even God the Father could not bear to watch. He turned his face away, thus leading to Jesus' cry. This was also a fulfillment of prophecy. See Psalm 22:1-3 and Psalm 88:14-15.

Also, as the sacrificial lamb to atone for the sins of mankind forever, he had to physically die. See Matthew 27 Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

As to your comment connecting the fig tree being cursed to Jesus' reply about rendering to Caesar or to God what each was entitled to I am at a loss as to the connection. Please explain if you care to.

Lastly, we are not all one other than the fact we all live on this planet hurtling through space. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that there are born-again Christians and everyone else.

I'm sure you know what Jesus said; a man "must be born again" (John 2:3). I Cor. 2:14 says "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him;neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.". Romans 8:9 "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if so be that the spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." Scofield comments " Flesh is the whole natural or unregenerated man, spirit, soul and body, as centered on self,prone to sin, and opposed to God (Romans 7:18). The regenerate man is not "in the sphere of the flesh, but is in the sphere of the spirit (Romans 8:9); but the flesh is still in him, and he may choose to walk "after the flesh" or "in the spirit" (I Cor. 3:1-4 : Gal. 5:16-17.)"

Christians are not perfect, but they are forgiven of sin by Jesus when they genuinely repent and ask for forgiveness and ask him to come live in their hearts. At that time their name is recorded in the book of life. That's why they face only judgment for their actions for him, after the rapture (I Thess. 4:16-18) and "in the air" (II Cor. 5:10), at which time they receive or lose rewards (crowns). The judgment for the unsaved dead is in Rev. 20:11-15. At that time the "books" are opened, including the "Book of Life", which contains the names of all Christians. If their name is not recorded there,no matter how "good" a life they have lived on earth, they are cast into the lake of fire, where the devil, the false prophet, and the beast are. (Rev. 20:10) This is the second or final death.

If any of the above conflicts with your beliefs or interpretations, you are, of course, entitled to them. I would only ask that you consider the above seriously in the spirit in which I give it; discussion for the purpose of enlightenment of all.

Any comments are, as usual, welcome.

Al