View Single Post

Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM

A leaner mixture is required

Changing the air to fuel ratio will change the burn rate of hydrogen..

A higher Oxygen to Hydrogen ratio will slow down the burn. In other words, a leaner mixture will slow down the burn rate.

At the moment, I am disorganized and in need of major re organization of my information, but i did have a bit of a look for you. You may need to use a search engine and perhaps wait for other posts for further info.

- the following is a patent that talks about orthohydrogen and parahydrogen, and about the differences in burn rate. I have no idea about its validity or practicality.
Method for producing orthohydrogen and/or parahydrogen - Patent 6419815

-At higher rpm, the piston naturally travels faster. In a conventional petrol/ gasoline fuelled combustion, there is less time to burn the fuel, so the ignition is normally advanced for that reason. My thoughts are that if it were practical, perhaps the air throttle could be a natural and easy way to allow control the burn rate. An air throttle, but in the reverse to how it is conventionally used... ie, as one puts the foot down to go increase engine speed, the air throttle moves towards letting less air in, but more hydrogen is let in, and thus is a rich condition for a faster burn rate.

-The following might also be worthy of study. There is good information in there, with comparisons of Stoichiometric ratios of hydrogen against petrol/ gasoline.
It is entitled "Hydrogen Use In Internal Combustion Engines";
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogen...fs/fcm03r0.pdf
also related to that,, is called Hydrogen Properties
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogen...fs/fcm01r0.pdf

-Talks about flame speeds of hydrogen against other fuels
Re: How can engines be modified to run using alternative fuels?

I would like to add a comment about the argument against hydrogen such as in the last link, when it mentioned the high heat being a problem in producing greater NOX emissions. I personally think that is not an issue if one uses water injection to reduce the temperature. I have seen simple ones which sort of evaporate the water in a bottle from the engine vacuum. That is my understanding. Perhaps that may add some amount of power increase..
After all, Aguero, Juan Carlos claims in his patent that a 1400cc engine require 10cc of hydrogen per second if mixed with dry steam. That is 0.6 liters per minute for his small engine. For the none metric US people, a 1.4Liter engine calculates to be about 85 cubic inches. Even if you scale it up for the big engines in your country, it is a small amount that is within reach.
I do not know the link for his patent, so you will have to look it up. European Patent Application EP0405919

Last edited by alsy; 08-21-2009 at 09:42 AM.