View Single Post

Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Hi Ben,
Glad to have you take an interest in this project. I think it's a natural progression from the gravity engine. Besides, I can use all the help I can get.
I watched your video and have a couple of comments. I've already tried the type of pump you suggested for all the same reasons you mentioned. Much to my disappointment it didn't work. It wouldn't raise the water more than about an inch. Since then I've done some research on centrifugal pumps and how they work. It comes down to having a stator and a rotor with some ports in it if you want it to be able to lift any water. That's a little beyond my machining capabilities.
If you take your cone and invert it, you'll have what I'm working on now for a pump. Also reverse the direction of your spin. The water exiting in that direction has no speed.
The water should be initially projected out through the nozzle in the direction of rotation because this adds absolute velocity to it (with respect to earth). Since kinetic energy goes up as the square of the velocity, we need all the speed we can get. Once the water is up to speed, we turn it around through 180 degrees to harvest the kinetic energy as forward torque. The conversion cycle is: pressure-speed-torque.
This is a little counter intuitive at first, but if you think about it makes sense.

Cheers,

Ted