View Single Post

Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

I fired it up and it spun pretty good. I don't think I had a very good prime on it though, because it stopped spraying after a minute or two. Then my homemade check valve stopped working so I had to take it apart. I also had a couple of leaks that needed some attention.
I need to develop a self priming system. I'm going to do some experiments with a centrifugal cone type pump. I started putting some pieces together and I think I may have a workable unit. I'll try it out in the next day or so and let you know.
@ Stealth, No rush. I'm quite a ways off from a self runner. I have a lot of work still ahead of me but I'll be happy to share notes. Lots of mechanical issues yet to solve.
@ Ren, Sounds intriguing. It's hard to get an accurate mental picture of the mechanism. Any pics? I'm always interested in new ideas.
@ Inquorate, Creating a vortex in the tube is a good thing in some instances, but you have to be careful. For instance, a vortex will not exit a nozzle with the same force that a straight stream will. If you examine Schaubergers Tornado nozzle assembly carefully you'll see that he kills the vortex with an "island" right before the water exits the nozzle.
I have plans for both straight and vorticle flows, but that's still down the road a ways. Once I get it primming itself things will get a lot easier.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ted