View Single Post

Old 07-27-2019, 04:25 PM

Ok Chet.

Here goes.

My single drawing shows the device at rest with water from the upper cistern piped down to the underside of the bellows/concertina, admission valve closed.

Upon opening of the admission valve the water fills the bellows causing it to rise ( transfer valve is shut ) we have allowed it to rise by 150mm or 6" lifting the displacement cylinder vertically through a sliding seal in the centre of the cistern 2 meters above.

We close the admission valve and open the transfer valve. The combined weight of the " bias " and cylinder now causes the water to flow into the displacement cylinder and travel upward round the sides of the solid Steel displacer piston. The bellows have now returned to rest as in my picture.

The next upward stroke see's the bellows fill and rise again, as we have 75Lbs of force available acting against just the volume of water plus that of the bias and cylinder. The displacer which is rigidly fixed from above the device, displaces the water through a cup washer at the top.

We now open the transfer valve and the bellows and cylinder collapse once again. As the cylinder collapses any water above the displacer piston falls over the sides to refill the cistern.

Back at rest again and ready for the next cycle.

For an automatic reciprocating engine we shall have to design some mechanism to operate the two valves.

But....

This all seems far too easy, what has been missed, am I dreaming?

Cheers Graham.

Post script.

I felt that perhaps my description of operation was lacking one detail, I'd forgotten to mention that the system had been previously purged of any air.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Concept2rev2.JPG (39.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Grumage; 07-27-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Aditional text.