View Single Post

Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Hi.
The other day I assembled the new version.

The output was lower than expected. It could charge a capacitor to 20 Volts, which was ok, but when shorted could only deliver 45 mA.

I also tried this version with a much more powerful rotor made from 3 very strong ring magnets placed right in the center, so they would rotate one their own axis, with the axle through the center of them. Axle and washers made from steel.

This made for a very powerful magnetic lock when it would come to a stand still. For all that flux being pumped through the gen core, it did a little better, and could charge a capacitor to 42 volts, but when shorted could only deliver 95 mA.

Thinking to myself that, generally speaking, a good low drag generator, would need to induct powerfully and make a useless motor. When applying a d.c. current biased for attraction to the rotor, to the gen coil, it was easy to see that some flux had been diverted away from the rotor, by the magnetic attraction inside the back of the C core, but it was also easy to see that some of the flux in the core had also coupled with the rotor flux making a noticeably stronger attraction. Having played around with some of Flynn's stuff in the past, I should have seen that coming. Also when a d.c. current biased for repulsion was applied to the gen coil, it could push the rotor away.

So given the unimpressive output, and the gen coil's ability to influence the rotor, I think it is time to move on to other things. When I say this I am only talking about this axial flux version that I made, and not the radial flux version that was used in the start of the thread. That is a different story, and not having tried that, I can't say anything about that.

cheers.

The first stater made from 3M of 0.7 wire. Output using the two magnet stack rotor 20 mV after being rectified, and 2 A shorted using clamp meter set to A.C. .

Second stater made from 0.25 wire, as many turns as it took to half full the core, over a thousand, 43 Ohms.
Attached Images
File Type: png Flux_Divert_Gen_8.png (408.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: png Flux_Divert_Gen_9.png (360.6 KB, 41 views)