View Single Post

Old 05-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

So, why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Hi all,

this is an interesting video, but probably not for the reasons you think. I can tell you exactly why he's seeing a higher input power with the open bifilar compared to the single wire, which is what I've been saying for a long time now and this is the last time I will post about it. I'm not talking theory, it's something you can verify on the bench, as I have done.

The bifilar coil, when connected in series, has a much higher capacitance than a single filar coil. This implies that the resonant frequency of the bifilar coil is much lower than that of the single filar coil. No load will slow the rotor down faster than a capacitor tuned for resonance! Don't believe me, try it on the bench, and I hope this issue will be settled once and for all.

The reason he sees the high input power is that that bifilar coil at that speed is not at, but in proximity of its resonant frequency, which on its own puts a big load on the rotor. When shorted or with a load he destroys this partial resonance, thus it behaves like the single filar coil.

Dave, I know you are probably the one with the most hands on experience with this kind of generators on this forum, and I respect that. But I repeat, a part from the resonant aspect in which one can get with hi turns bifilar coils, and see what the guy shows, the reason of the speeding up is not due to the coils capacitance. It's due to the core's internal currents, which result in a delayed response of the core towards the inducing magnet.

Do the experiment! Make two identical coils, one bifilar and one single filar. But both with the same total length of wire (and turns finally). First make sure that the unloaded (open) bifilar doesn't put more load on the rotor than the single filar one, to avoid seeing what the guy shows, due to partial resonance. Once that is cleared find the point (speed) where the bifilar doesn't put a load on the rotor when shorted. Now do the same with the single filar, it will do the same thing at the same frequency, proving that the effect is not due to the coils capacitance.

Now the last thing the guy in the video missed is when he says can't see the delay on the scope. The delay is not between voltage and current of the load, unless you use inductive or capacitive loads. But in order to see the real delayed lenz on the scope you need to put the first scope channel on an unloaded coil as a reference. The second channel goes on the loaded coil. Then you will see the delayed response with respect to the unloaded reference coil, which shows where the magnets are, while on channel two you see where the delayed response actually is in time.

regards,
Mario
Thanks for the post Mario.

I think that video, your opinions, and the bulk of evidence we've seen all support the proposition that I stated long ago. That this "speed-up under load" is inconsequential to the generator performance at load. And that it is basically a method of increasing no-load losses. Those increased no-load losses diminish as load is applied giving a false illusion of improved performance. It is obviously a case of altering coil design to make no-load operation much worse so someone can claim improvement at load. All the effort and expense put into coils that "speed-up under load" is wasted and actually counterproductive.

Even Turion recently said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turion View Post
2. The MORE you speed up under load the LESS your coil produces as a generator coil so the perfect coil does not speed up or slow down.
The whole deal is silly. Why do it? Has anybody actually shown (proven) an improvement in generator performance at load vs using conventional wound coils?

Regards,

bi