View Single Post

Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 AM

Hi Bro Mikey,
Caught your videos, nice work.
Yes I could have explained that a lot better. This schematic might help. The ideas I posted where speculative at best, and not tested by me yet.
The context here is trying to use generator coils as motor coils.

The kind of delay I was proposing, is preventing the generator coils from conducting immediately at the beginning of the induction cycle. The hope here is that while they don't conduct they are not producing a magnetic field that opposes the rotor on it's approach to TDC, and at that time, the cores might be polarized for attraction.

Then at some point in the induction cycle somewhere Between 0v and the peak of the first sine, depending on the coils inductance value relative to the rotor speed, the discharge happens. If it happens at just the right time while the core is reversing polarity to repulsion, it might neutralize the attraction at TCD and maybe even provides a push as it goes past.

The relay idea is a crude one to be sure, and it's not tunable, so the time taken to turn itself on is what creates the delay. If the effect were to happen at all, the relay coil would need to have relatively small inductance compared to the gen coil and the rotor would have to be going at just the right speed. I said it wasn't a great option because the coils would have to conduct enough to turn the relay on to make the intended discharge.

All the options where designed to do the same thing, just using different methods. In hinesight I can also see a problem with the third option, and think it would work better with a Hall Effect Sensor used in a similar way to how they are in motors. The center of the discharge would be determined by the position of the sensor, and the duration of the shot either side of the center could controlled electronically with the trimpots. The circuit might look something like this, but Ive only ever used it to switch conventional motor coils, and gets some serious heat issues if I try to switch much more than 4 amps or so.

Possibly more useful for people who's machines can't rotate fast enough to get their coils into the zone. A problem you don't seem to have using your methods. I'm looking forward to see what happens next.

Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: png Relay_Gen_Discharge.png (176.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: png Hall_Effect_Gen_Discharge.png (247.4 KB, 93 views)