View Single Post

Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Simple switching...very cool. Add a little solar.

Hello Bistander,

To tell you the truth, I didn't check anything. At the time I bought them because John was using them and they were about the cheapest. My favorite batteries are Marine deep cycle which are in between start batteries and deep cycle batteries.

To top it off all these batteries have been converted to Alum (no acid). So there's nothing to compare this to. Alum batteries tend to hold their power lower and will be running strong down to 9v (but an inverter has already turned off around 10v), so there are trade-offs. I like them because I can charge them faster and you can't hurt them. I have drained an Alum battery to dead 0, left it with an incandescent light on it (a dead short) over night, and they start recharging them selves as soon as you take the short off. Then they take a charge and work as usual. They don't have a problem with sulfation, in fact one of the best batteries we every had converted had sat on a pile of dead batteries for years and wouldn't take a charge. We converted it, charged it and it held for at least the manufacturer's Ah rating. At any rate, a friend of left some of his Alum batteries out back of his house for two years on the ground in TN where they got snow and everything. After two years, some of them were holding a medium-high charge and tested better Ahs than new. So you can leave them charged or discharged without hurting them. If your running lights or things that are not voltage sensitive, they are great...you can't hurt them.

As for your suggestion, I can't imagine an easier switching than one DPDT throw. When you go from one side to the other, you have to switch your load's low voltage positive leg to the opposite side unless it is something that is not polar sensitive. But an inverter is polar sensitive and needs the negative leg switched to the low voltage positive (Battery 3).

With full sun, my smallest solar panels (two 15W panels in series to give 24V) take the middle batteries to 29-32v for 6-8 hours. This is in series with the other Primary set (which is about the same voltage as the Battery 3 set) and the potential difference between the positives stays at about 29-30v all that time. This allows Battery 3 to be charged to a higher level than usual.

(Usually my setups would charge Battery 3 to a lower level each time I switched back and forth, so the whole system was losing energy because of battery impedance and after about 6 cycles I would need to charge them. When I was living off-grid and using golf cart batteries, I could charge them with solar, then rotated them in a 3 Battery setup, and make 6 complete cycles before the inverter runs would become too short and I would need to recharge the batteries. I could go 5-6 days between charging.)

With this setup, my batteries are all gaining every day. When I get them all up, I'm going to try running them 24/7 to see it the day's charging will keep the system going. So far, on even at a low level the potential difference is 19-22v, which runs my radiant battery chargers way better than 12v. That's what I use as a pulse load for the 3 Battery System. Refer to JB's patent US 7,990,110 B2 for a positive energy charger and Tom's "Free Energy Generation" book, p.46 "the preferred embodiment" for a negative energy charger.

Enjoy,

Bob

PS -That's Tom Bearden's book.