View Single Post

Old 01-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
His building quality is getting better...

IF anyone is struggling wth measuring lifting / thrust; it's simple to do accurately and easily..

1. Get yerself a set of digital scales in the range that you want to measure.
USB output is a bonus as it allows you to make automatic and logged measurements. (I did mine the hard way with clock and pencil and paper).

2. Get approximately (or exactly, it makes no difference) 1 meter of reasonably stiff lightweight consistent material, (I used balsa), and put a pivot exactly central. Have a heavy base (at least ten times the max thrust you want to measure) and put the pivot high enough so that when the arm is balanced, it hovers 1 CM above the pressure pad of the scales.
(Use anything temporary like plasticine or blutac if there is a slight imbalance, redrill your pivot if you have a gross imbalance!)

3. 1 CM in from one end, put a pin or fine screw which pokes 1CM below the arm. This is your measurement point.

4. on the other end of the arm fabricate a clamp for your lifter/gravity motor/ brushless fan such that the thrust is manifest around a single point 1 CM in from the end of the arm.

5. Now balance the arm. (I used a sliding weight on the scales side) so that when holding your lifter/gravity motor/ brushless fan, there is no recorded weight on the scales.

6. Activate your lifter/gravity motor/ brushless fan and read off it's actual thrust on your scales!

When the measured value exceeds the weight of your device plus it's power supply it will fly.

With a lifter, for example; the curve of achieved lift versus input energy seems to get exponentially steeper as you increase the voltage...
You only get THAT secret knowledge however by DOING IT YOURSELF.

Happy new year and BIG RESPECT to all of you who are making machines and taking measurements, you are the only answer to all the liars and disinformationalists out there.

I do love all the new theory that is emerging, and it is helpful, but what we need most of all are practical machines and demonstrations of real reproducible phenomena.

Later this year, some funding and practical help may become available to those are doing practical work in this field. I've just benefitted from a little of this myself, it was given freely and I didn't ask for it. As more mainstream folks are waking up to the stultified morass our science and technology is (because great big lumps of it had to be obscured hastily, I think!) some of them seem willing to invest real resources into the folks who are doing the actual work in the field.

I might even try and organise some for other people myself, seeing how much a "shot in the arm" being paid even a small sum for doing this stuff has been for me. We need more actual workers, no denigration intended to the thinkers, but we have so many of them and so few practical workers..