View Single Post

Old 12-13-2018, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelyprimitives View Post
Paul,

Back in response #32 you wrote:

"After reading all of Tesla's final rotor design patent.

We can use a single disc with no holes."

My question is, if this 2 stage device works where the flow acts as a torus, won't a solid disc with no holes block the flow through the first stage?
Here are a few references. My understanding is the the air is always best introduced at the centre of the rotor. This ensures that thrust is equal because the fluid path takes the line of least resistance.

It also ensures the fluid has the longest path of travel and therefore higher velocity.

US Patent 1,061,206 - Turbine

"I accomplish this by causing the propelling fluid to move in natural paths or stream lines of least resistance, free from constraint and disturbance such as occasioned by vanes or kindred devices, and to change its velocity and direction of movement by imperceptible degrees, thus avoiding the losses due to sudden variations while the fluid is imparting energy."

"It is to be observed that the resistance to the passage of the fluid between the plates is, approximately, proportionate to the square of the relative speed, which is maximum in the direction toward the center and equal to the full tangential velocity of the fluid. The path of least resistance, necessarily taken in obedience to a universal law of motion is, virtually, also that of least relative velocity."

Tesla British Patent 186,082 - (Tesla's Mk2 Rotor Patent)
Improvements in the Construction of Steam and Gas Turbines

"If there is an odd number of thin plates the central one may be plain, if desired."

US Patent 1,061,142 - Fluid Propulsion

"When, irrespective of the character of the fluid, considerable pressures are desired, staging or compounding may be resorted to in the usual way the individual runners being, preferably, mounted on the same shaft. It should be added that the same end may be attained with one single runner by suitable deflection of the fluid through rotative or stationary passages."