Thread: Bedini SG
View Single Post

Old 06-17-2018, 10:54 PM
Co-Founder & Moderator

sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SeeMore View Post
Thanks for telling me how to figure approximate AH for starters. Apart from deep cycle batt's, I'm assuming C20 is the best discharge rate for starters too.

I really appreciate you hammering the point home. I was going to follow the discharge rate Peter laid out in the video, which would have been a very bad idea.

I hadn’t yet considered modifying anything, but it makes sense that the radiant spikes will go up if the coil is bigger, and that that may be necessary to charge bigger batteries - though I assume additional protective measures have to be incorporated and larger capacity components used, etc.

“Big enough” sounds like increasing the coil size by lengthening the wires. Is “power windings” another way of saying the same thing, or something else? I imagine thicker wire would draw more battery current and be a bad idea. If my existing setup has a hard time getting starter batteries to reach 15.1-15.3, I’ll make another coil.

I did order the Battery Rejuvenation video a few days ago and it’s a huge help, but your clarification that the discharge rates mentioned in it don’t apply to starter batteries almost needs to be included. Though It was about rejuvenating batteries with the chargers and not the SG, I assume the SG was "Charger Model 1" and is a good alternative - especially since the chargers are no longer available.

The model I've built only charges with radiant energy rather than the regauged(?) energy that comes out of the capacitor (or charge batteries in series after the first one). Are starter batteries ready to be used in vehicles after being charged with only radiant energy, or do they need the conditioned current that’s gone through a capacitor or another battery first?
20 hour discharge is how to get full capacity from deep cycles, 10 hour discharge you get about 90% of the capacity and 5 hour discharge, you get about 80% of the capacity. This doesn't apply to starters - dividing the cca by 10 so you get about 10% of that as amp hours is just a very flimsy ballpark. However, I would stick to the 20 hour discharge you come up with for a starter battery from full charge down to 12 volts.

Peter's recommendation is a good recommendation, but he is talking about deep cycle batteries. Those can be brought down to 10.5 with no problems since they have much thicker plates than starter batts.

If you have one power winding at 130 feet long of 18 awg and that is connected to one transistor - that is one power winding. On the same coil form (bobbin) - if you wind two wires together at the same time and each are the same size and length and the 2nd is connected to a second transistor, that is 2 power windings. Many people build these with 7-8 power windings and 1 trigger - all wires same length and wound together on the same core - good idea to twist them all together before winding.

If you have a coil with 1 power winding and 1 trigger, it will not be able to push a battery as strong as 2 power windings and 1 trigger and so forth. Each winding gives you a stronger magnetic field and therefore a stronger inductive spike to push the battery.

The rejuvenation/battery secrets video's main intended purpose applied to the chargers we sold, but it applies to the radiant spikes as well. First commercial charger we offered was a radiant spike charger - it was exactly based on the SG. After were all cap dumps or linear current chargers.

The cap discharge is more advanced but not that difficult. I'd experiment with the radiant spikes first on the SG to learn more about how it works, then look into charging caps and discharging caps.