View Single Post

Old 05-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

Motor design

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyetalon View Post
But I began thinking of how unbalanced a typical electric motor is and how the dipole field is the most efficient.
One of the biggest downfalls of conventional motors is the Lorentz force.
When you start up a motor, good old Lorentz SLAMS the rotor into one of the bearings (depending on rotation direction). If you start and stop the motor often enough, you will end up with a bad bearing.
Hi dyetalon,

Yes you mentioned your motor earlier and I took a quick read of the patent application documents.

In the typical motor, be it AC, DC, PM, wound field, brushless, or brush commutated, like the graphic, the Lorentz forces are tangential to the axis of rotation. There are no Lorentz forces acting in the axial direction.

All magnetic fields are dipole. It is impossible to get around the nature of the dipole magnetic field. So the motor shown above uses dipole fields and is balanced.

I would like to understand what you envision as the magnetic paths in your motor design and why you feel it is superior to that as shown above. Please realize that the FEMM shown above could apply to a brushless design by electronically committing the armature making it the stationary member (stator) and having the magnet assembly rotate (as the rotor) making it an out-runner type BLDC or synchronous ACPM motor.

Regards,

bi