View Single Post

Old 03-07-2018, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan1701 View Post
I believe that custom containers specially shaped could enhance this effect greatly.
Yes, I'm sure that the sloshing effect could be somewhat enhanced with an improved container, but how about redesigning the perimeter of the wheel itself to incorporate a tubular waterway? Containers moving counterclockwise from the bottom would be dumping their contents into the perimeter tube at position of bottle I in the below photo, thus going empty, while containers moving counterclockwise from the top position would be quickly filled by the water in the tube when at position of bottle D.

Of course, in such an arrangement, you would not want the water to freely circulate in the tube - the tube would be divided into sections with barrier walls, with enough space between barriers to hold the entire contents drained from each container at the right side of the wheel. That drained water, held at the perimeter between two barriers, would then travel up and over the top of the wheel and dump into each container vessel when the vessel reaches the D position. The design of the perimeter tube would need to be evaluated based on being either wide enough, or thick enough, to hold the full contents of a container vessel (or the desired amount for best performance) between barrier baffles. It probably wouldn't be necessary to have as many container vessels as are shown in the above photo. Perhaps six would be ideal, spaced at 60 degree intervals, and you wouldn't want to use anything other than consistent diameter container vessels (such as PVC pipe, for example) as this would allow quick filling as well as quick draining with no restriction in either direction.

Just picture it while looking at the above photo. With the contents of container vessels D, C, and B providing the counterclockwise rotational force, and E,F,G, H, and I emptied to the perimeter tube between their respective barrier baffles, only containers A and J would be resisting rotation as they move towards the container I position, where each is quickly drained to the perimeter tube. Thus, it seems that you would have a relatively strong overbalance condition at the left half of the wheel which would ensure continuous rotation. It's past my usual bedtime, and perhaps I'm too tired to be thinking straight, but at this time it all seems logical.

Here's a suggestion as to how the container vessels could be made from PVC pipe and attached to either or both sides of a rectangular cross section perimeter tube. This is of course a very crude and simplified drawing, and is only offered to illustrate the basic idea, without anything being drawn to an exacting scale. I don't know if I can find the time to make a better drawing, so if anyone would like to give that a shot then feel welcome to do so.
"Seek wisdom by keeping an open mind to alternative realities, questioning authority, and searching for truth. Only then, when you see or hear something that has 'the ring of truth' to it, will it be as if a veil has been lifted, and suddenly you will begin to hear and see far more clearly than ever before." - Rickoff