View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member
Hi folks,

Just though I'd revive this thread for the simple reason that the notion of an overbalanced wheel interests me. I tend to agree with Peter's analysis, except that if the wheel is equally balanced at the left and right sides then the lines drawn should converge at the axle, yet most of the convergence points are to the right of center. That would seem to indicate that the wheel is too out-of-balance to spin for very long before coming to a stop.

There does appear to be an overbalance at the left side if one refers to either of the below images, which I have labeled and explained, though this may not be entirely accurate either. I do think it is worth looking at, though, as a point for further discussion.

In the above photo you can see that the fluid in bottle D is poised to rush outward, while the fluid in bottle I will be rushing inward. In other words, this is where the "sloshing" effect is initiated, and the actual effect of that sloshing is seen below.

Of course the effect which bottle A has on rotation is very small at this point, when compared to bottles B or C, so shouldn't be thought of as a rotational asset, however neither is it a negative force to rotation. With A-F and D-I pairs pretty much canceling their effects, you still have two overbalanced pairs (B-G and C-H) and only one underbalanced pair (E-J) at the left side.

All this being said, it appears to me that the gaps between each bottle cap and the adjacent bottle's side are not equal, which could in fact help explain why the intersecting lines in Peter's analysis were not quite centered on the axle. This situation would set up an imbalance whether the unit is at rest or in motion, so doesn't seem helpful, and in fact makes me wonder how this could possibly run continuously. Before the unit is tested, it should be well balanced, and the only way to determine that would be to spin it and see where it comes to rest. If it always stops at the same location then the heavy point is at 6 o'clock and one would have to add a counterweight at 12 o'clock to balance the wheel. The counterweight could be a weight added to the wheel, such as a small magnet, or one could add more water to one or two bottles, but of course this second option would be more difficult in this build since the cap is pressed tightly against the perimeter of the wheel.

I noticed that none of the video links shown in the #1 post on this thread are working, so I captured the above still photos from video found at this link. The wheel does keep turning for 5 minutes, just as is claimed, however I noticed that there were two recurring chirping sounds (a higher pitched one followed by a lower pitched one 2.5 seconds later. This may have been a bird outside the garage, and it is not all that unusual for a bird to make two differing pitched chirps close together. What I did find unusual, though, was the fact that when I timed the interval starting immediately upon hearing the high pitched chirp, and ending immediately after each successive high pitched chirp, it always timed out at 19.6 seconds during this 5 minute run. This, of course, is pretty much a dead giveaway that the video was edited to loop within that 19.6 second time frame, which could have started at the chirp or anywhere in between chirps. It's funny that the editor didn't notice the chirps, though perhaps he did and simply thought no one else would notice. If balanced fairly well, it wouldn't be difficult to spin the wheel and have it rotate at a seemingly consistent rpm for just under 20 seconds. It's really too bad that some people will fake their results rather than just showing what actually happens and looking for ways to improve on those results if possible.

While this build is not a continuous runner, it does seem that the sloshing hammer effect, as shown above, does perhaps have potential, especially if a longer tapered bottle neck is used. The usefulness of such a device, if it could be made to continuously run, would probably be almost nil unless it could be constructed on a much grander scale, but one wouldn't even think of doing that unless a relatively small scale model such as this one could be made to function as desired. Certainly there are more promising projects to pursue, so there probably won't be much interest in starting with this build and somehow making it work, but then again there aren't that many projects one can work on that would cost so little.

Best regards to all,

"Seek wisdom by keeping an open mind to alternative realities, questioning authority, and searching for truth. Only then, when you see or hear something that has 'the ring of truth' to it, will it be as if a veil has been lifted, and suddenly you will begin to hear and see far more clearly than ever before." - Rickoff