Thread: Bedini Cigars
View Single Post

Old 11-26-2017, 01:48 AM
Co-Founder & Moderator

small loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by level View Post
Hello Aaron. Thanks for that. That's interesting. Yes, a PIC or Arduino microcontroller would give you a lot more flexibility and control for doing all the switching, especially if you want to include rotating batteries in and out to give batteries a rest period.

LEDs consume only a small amount of power, and large AH rated batteries can power a few of them for a long time without dropping in voltage much, so I think it would probably be better if tests are done using some sort of load of at least a few Watts to test with. It really depends on the AH rating of the batteries you are testing with however. Choose something that will put some real load on the batteries that is in reasonable proportion to the AH rating of the batteries when testing, if you want see if the batteries can really stay charged up under load. It sounds like from past testing by a few people here that no one was able to keep the batteries from running down. Of course the smaller the load you have connected to the Tesla Switch the longer the batteries should maintain a charge, so I think to reasonably evaluate tests a person really needs to know the AH rating of the batteries used and the measured power consumption of the load in Watts that was being powered by the Tesla Switch. Without both of those pieces of info it's really hard to judge how well a Tesla Switch setup was performing, unless the Tesla Switch keeps the batteries fully charged up indefinitely while powering a reasonable load. If you are only pulsing current through a load at a very low frequency, then the load's power consumption will of course be less than when powered steady with pure DC.

As many people probably already know, you have to be careful with the new LED light bulbs because they often have a big Wattage rating listed on their packaging which is not the actual power consumption of the LED bulb, but the supposed equivalent Wattage power consumption for the same brightness that an old style bulb would consume. IMO, the best thing is to first connect your load you are going to use in your testing to a battery and measure the current it consumes when connected to a fully charged battery of the appropriate voltage for the load. That way you can see how much power the load really consumes when being powered at a specific voltage.

There's the "Tesla Switch" and the 3 battery system with a resting battery. I think he wanted to do both with small pic chip circuits. The batteries he was going to use I believe are the 3.2v lithium iron phosphates that are common in solar yard lights.

He was never into digital but did start teaching himself pic chip programming to blink different colored LED lights on cubes, etc. in different sequences, patterns and so on.

So anyway, running banks of LEDs on those batteries were appropriate loads. The 18500 type battery is 600mAh. I'm not sure if the ratings for those are based on a 20 hour discharge but if so, then the 20 hour load is around 2 watts.