View Single Post

Old 01-21-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
I don't think the device is useless. It's always nice to hear the splashing of a fountain. I find it very soothing.
More often than not I find the sound makes me need to use the bathroom. At least they look nice.
Quote:
The other thing to consider regarding his motivation is that his patents for alternating current motors and power distribution expired in 1905 so he had lost that royalty income. He applied for patents for his turbine in 1909 and his fountain in 1913. As the archives show, he worked on table top fountains that included his turbine. I suspect that was to reach a broader market. So it could be that this work was just a way of developing a source of income that would leave his time free to work on other projects.
I've been reading more about his homopolar motor design lately, which he patented after his AC motor & on occasion has described it is self-acting. It's possible the homopolar motor was used to power a tesla pump that moved the fountain water. Maybe it's meant to run in reverse as a water turbine or upside-down to harness hot rising gases. There are a lot of possibilities.
Quote:
Over unity? I don't know. That's why I posted here. The thing that got me thinking about over unity was the lower arrangement in figure 2. Why use that arrangement when the motor could simply be mounted in the center of the cylinder as in figure 4 and all of the table top fountains show it centered with direct drive? But figure 2 shows mechanical multiplication.
That might just be to prevent against loopholes in the patent right. Maybe it's easier to build in some places. I have no idea.
Quote:
There are a couple of things in The Problem of Increasing Human Energy that relate to over unity. Although strictly speaking it's not over unity, that's where he discusses the self acting engine. He also mentions the work of Dewar and Linde on liquefying gases. Key to that work was moving the gas through a tube inside a tube which is similar to the fountain's cylinder inside a cylinder.
I didn't know about that. Now that I know there's some rationale behind an overunity claim, it might be worth looking into. I'm not really interested in liquids myself, so I never made the connection.