View Single Post

Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
I think you're reading a little too much into this. While secretly designing an overunity system into what seems to be the most useless of his patents would be a genius move, there's nothing about this design that seems even remotely effective as an overunity system. Not everything he makes has to be world-changing, maybe he just enjoyed designing that fountain.
It's certainly possible I'm reading too much into it.

I don't think the device is useless. It's always nice to hear the splashing of a fountain. I find it very soothing.

The other thing to consider regarding his motivation is that his patents for alternating current motors and power distribution expired in 1905 so he had lost that royalty income. He applied for patents for his turbine in 1909 and his fountain in 1913. As the archives show, he worked on table top fountains that included his turbine. I suspect that was to reach a broader market. So it could be that this work was just a way of developing a source of income that would leave his time free to work on other projects.

Over unity? I don't know. That's why I posted here. The thing that got me thinking about over unity was the lower arrangement in figure 2. Why use that arrangement when the motor could simply be mounted in the center of the cylinder as in figure 4 and all of the table top fountains show it centered with direct drive? But figure 2 shows mechanical multiplication.

There are a couple of things in The Problem of Increasing Human Energy that relate to over unity. Although strictly speaking it's not over unity, that's where he discusses the self acting engine. He also mentions the work of Dewar and Linde on liquefying gases. Key to that work was moving the gas through a tube inside a tube which is similar to the fountain's cylinder inside a cylinder.