View Single Post

Old 09-08-2016, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Charging Isolated to Battery C

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_K View Post
So this was the last post related to the topic of this thread - to get us back on track.

Peter, I need to ask. Why put the diode in that position? I would've thought to put it on the positive line between battery 1 positive and the positive input to the SG. In my thinking, it would block all of the re-gauging spike from getting back to the series batteries there as well.

John K.
John,

Great question. The idea was to run the batteries as conventionally as possible. That meant the circuit needed to run from the batteries in positions A and B, and charge the battery in position C. It also meant that I didn't want any of the charge to find its way back to the front batteries while they were running the machine.

During the development of the design, I talked these ideas over with John Bedini. We both agreed that total disconnection was the best solution, like the bi-polar switch that disconnects both the positive and the negative lines. So we started by drawing in diodes on the common negative between batteries B and C, and on the positive line between battery A and the positive input to the motor. As we studied the circuit with the diodes in place, we realized that when the radiant spike came back out of the coil and was applied to battery C, the transistor was already OFF, so the positive line in relation to battery C was already disconnected. That meant we only needed the diode on the common negative line to produce total isolation.

Aaron and Graham ran some preliminary tests on a small SG Aaron had that definitely showed that a fast diode in that location increased the charge rate on battery C.

So that is the evolution of the diode on the common negative line for this set-up. It seems that the total Radiant Energy available to charge battery C can be "throttled" so to speak, by the switching speed of the diode you select to put in this location. The one I showed was a 600 volt, 30 amp Ultra-fast switch-mode diode rated at 60 nano-seconds. It was clearly too fast for the circuit as it was constructed at the time. I think 80 to 100 nsec would have been closer to what was needed to increase the charge rate on battery C without almost blowing all the transistors!

Since the Conference Demonstration, I have cleaned the machine up quite a bit, traded out all of the bad batteries for new ones, gotten rid of all of the crossed wires, and traded out the 1N4007s for UF4007s. Now, the Neon Lights come on during the start-up process (which they didn't before) and stay on until the motor reaches about 300 rpm, and that is without the diode on the common negative line. This demonstrates that lowering the impedance of the entire circuit is still the most important feature of these machines.

For the most part, I have run the machine without that diode on the common negative line to make sure I am maximizing the functions of the rest of the circuit. But my real job interrupts my ability to work on this project except a little here and a little there. I hope to have enough time to get back to these experiments sometime soon.

Thanks for being interested.

Peter

Last edited by Peter Lindemann; 09-08-2016 at 03:13 PM.