View Single Post

Old 09-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Gold Member

Hi marathonman,

I tried following the thread on OU for a while but got tired real quick of all the arguing about which way was the best way to build this device. I just reread again your excellent description of how the device works. I have studied the drawings quite a bit also and I agree with your assessment of how it works. My question is has anyone actually built a modern version of this device and gotten it to work? And has anyone come up with a relatively easy way to make this device solid state? I have some ideas about that but as the title says why reinvent the wheel if someone else has already got a nice solid state circuit designed. I am thinking a couple of power transistors driven in class A amplifier mode by two sine waves 180 degrees apart should allow you to control both coils as you describe. Thanks for any info you can share.

I disagree with you on one point. Overall AC has a lot more advantages than DC. But in certain situations and devices DC has the advantage and this device is certainly one of those.

Carroll