View Single Post

Old 06-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

small scale verification

This is my idea, (not Tesla's)

When I switch on my SEC I can see a brief rise in temperature (measured with an IR- thermometer) and when I switch it off a brief dip. I do not want the rise, but I do want the dip.
So by switching it on slowly, the generated heat will be dissipated to the environment if it is generated at all. Then switching it of suddenly will cool the electricity.
With a coil that is operating in this manner I see two effects that normally occur only at voltages over 1MV:
- the discharges get much longer (easily 20x) than expected
- I do not know how to describe this, but I see a similarity in the appearance of the discharge

For these 3 reasons (theory + 2 observations) I think the same effect may be obtained at voltages in the 10KV+ range.
See attached diagram.
The diodes and caps must be able to withstand the voltages produced by the coil (of course).
At hvstuff.com you can find diodes up to 80KV and large polystyrene caps.

What is not shown in the diagram is that the receiving electrode in the spark-gap (the right one) should be bigger (make it a metal ball) than the sending electrode (left one) which can be a needle. You will have to play a bit with the spark gap distance, too small you won't attract many charges, too long you lose too much energy.

If someone wants to test this idea, feel free to do so.
As long as you don't commercialize it, you are free to test and use it. (we have a patent on this)

I will be testing this too, but if you arrive at results before I do, please post it here!

And Elon, if you read this, that will be 3 model S's for me, please.

Ernst.
Attached Images
File Type: png Spark Gap Test 2.png (18.8 KB, 75 views)