View Single Post

Old 11-26-2015, 04:41 PM

Delusional Parasitosis and Me - The Baffler

Not All Exterminator Dogs Are Perfect in Sniffing Out Bedbugs - ABC News

Still, four out of 11 dogs we met got it wrong, and alerted to bedbugs in the home even though there were none.

Dog gave false negative Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums

I know we still have a problem, no matter how hard the landlord is trying to tell me "You don't have bed bugs". The problem is that I would prefer the apartment complex pays for any treatment (as I don't have $2000 laying around as a recent college grad), but they refuse to treat until I have "more evidence than a bug in a bag and a few bite marks".

Bed Bug Dogs and False Negatives Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums

I am really starting to wonder about bed bug dogs. I had one in and he cleared the place, but am getting bitten on my shoulders and upper back and do think my vikane treatment failed. I thought at first fleas, but no bites on the ankles or waist. Which totally blows. Basically, at this point, I trust no one to detect and/or rid a bedbug infestation. For those who get rid of them, it's luck or having enough money or power you know a pco who will do a thorough job. Otherwise, we're all screwed, and I see no reason why a dog would be able to sniff out one or two stray eggs or one bug. The bugs make a scent after being established and having the scent of human blood excrement in their nest, not merely by existing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/12/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Mr. Peruyero, the dog trainer, is pushing for scent-detection dogs to be certified through an independent oversight board, the National Entomology Scent Detection Canine Association. But there is factionalism and fighting in the industry, said Philip G. Koehler, an entomologist at the University of Florida, over which association, if any, should certify the dogs.

“The bedbug thing has grown so rapidly that it’s grown ahead of the regulations,” Professor Koehler said.

http://thebaffler.com/odds-and-ends/...sitosis-and-me

It was too good to be true. Gradually, reports surfaced of embarrassing canine detection gaffes, false positives as well as false negatives. The University of Nebraska spent $400,000 treating 197 dorm rooms in which dogs alerted to odors, but physical bedbug traces were confirmed in just eighteen cases. Field studies of working dogs indicate that mistakes are the rule, not the exception. A Rutgers entomologist invited seven commercial dog teams to inspect New Jersey apartments that had been rigorously vetted for bedbugs. The results were nothing to wag tails about—false positives ranged up to 38 percent. “We’ve never seen a dog that does not give false alerts,” the entomologist, Changlu Wang, told me. Lots of things can throw them off: food odors, residues from pets, or just a bad day. One dog with a perfect record the first day dropped to less than 50 percent accuracy the next. Even more disconcerting, correct detection rates—dogs alerting in an apartment that definitely had bugs—averaged only 43 percent. Three heavy infestations were missed by all the dogs.

Then again, sometimes it’s the dog that manipulates the handler. The training regimen is all too simple: the dogs are made to hunt for hidden vials of live bedbugs and are fed only when they correctly alert to them. Sounds foolproof, but out on a job a savvy, hungry dog might reason as follows: if I don’t alert at this bed, I won’t get fed; if I do, I might get fed. That logic holds up even if the dog smells nothing in particular, especially if the handler doesn’t visually verify; in that case, Koehler warns, “the dog eventually outsmarts the handler to get a reward.” Mind games can dominate an inspection. Here’s how one handler posting on Bedbugger.com described his moody relationship with his partner:

I attribute [false positives] to elevated stress levels (mine) that induced self-rewarding behaviors (hers). Something like I was allowing her to use her brains (watching me, tension on the leash, etc.) during the inspection not her nose. . . . False negatives I attribute to me, again under stress I would tend to change my pace (typically going too fast and not allowing her to go where she needs to go).

http://www.petful.com/misc/do-bedbug-dogs-work/

Do Bedbug Dogs Work?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but bedbug dogs are not as accurate as you might believe. I know, I know… that University of Florida clinical study from 2008? It’s proof positive, right? Well, sure, the numbers were huge, but the 98 percent accuracy rate doesn’t actually have anything to do with how any particular company’s dog might perform here in the real world.

In fact, the dirty little secret is that false positives by bedbug dogs are rampant in the industry, owing to poor training of dog or handler. The dog might be reacting to cues from the handler, or wanting a treat. Not to sound conspiratorial here, but let’s say that a company tells you its dog has detected bedbugs in your apartment… doesn’t it stand to benefit financially from the extermination costs? So a false positive would work in the exterminator’s favor.

http://www.bostonbedbugauthority.org/?page_id=47

http://www.bedbugsinspection.com/bed...ger-forums.php

Its a shame people cant hire a pest control company to conduct visual inspections with proper results. I guess that is why I dont do free inspections. I cant give up 4 hours of my time with the inspection and travel for free. But 10 minutes . To sell a job, well sure! But I have a heart . So called Bed Bug experts who post on this site .. have missed infestations 3 people including the owner with a 4 month old infestation missed it. I was called in .. and found bed bug evidence in .. no bull****! 3 minutes.

Is this a bedbug? | The CO2 Bedbug Trap

It is a myth that bed bugs can live for a year without feeding, it can only occur in cold temperatures and never in heated human dwellings

At temperatures of 55F, without ant activity and feeding, they live about five months.

At temperatures of 68F,without activity and feeding, they live about three months.

Alvero Romaro, University of Kentucky performed experiments where colonies of bedbugs were placed in an unoccupied building at 68F and recorded their behavior with time lapse cameras. The bed bugs didn’t forage or feed and the study gave a normal mortality rate of 92 days (average)

Is this a bedbug? | The CO2 Bedbug Trap

Bed bug detection dogs are trained to pinpoint infestations, with an unproven possible accuracy rate of 97.5%, based upon tests conducted under controlled conditions by researchers paid by pest management companies. The success rates in these tests does not reflect real-world success rates of pest companies’ dogs, operating with many more variables in the field and are much lower and unreliable.

Last edited by frisco kid; 02-04-2017 at 06:31 PM.