Thread: Eric Dollard
View Single Post

Old 10-08-2015, 09:04 PM

After viewing the MIT video it is interesting to speculate about capacitors in general. The text books state that the charges reside on the metal plates.
The following experiments serve no practical purpose at this time just food for thoughts.

If I have a two plate capacitor with air as the dielectric than where would the + and - charges reside? Perhaps on the metal plates?
With this same capacitor with glass as the dielectric the charges would reside on the two sides of the glass plate, + on one side and - on the other.
So if I have a stack of glass dielectrics I can charge each glass plate to a certain Q. If I take this plate out and charge the next plate and remove it, then I can place the second plate on top of the first one so that - goes on -. The next time I repeat this I will place + on + on both sides of the two plates I already have and on the next plates I alternate as required. Of course the total charge on each plate has to be a little less than half of the break down charge of the dielectric.
So I can go as long as I want and store all those charges in one place. If I put them in a non-conducting container where I have contacts on one side to the negative charges and on the other side I have contacts to the positive charges then in essence I created a super capacitor without metal plates, or did I?
If I would charge each glass plate of say area=2A, but the metal plates on both sides would only be area=A, what will be the total charge on the glass plate? What is the limiting size that will control the total charge, the metal plates or the glass plate sizes? Please let me know what you think.