View Single Post

Old 09-07-2015, 01:35 PM

Relative Clause vs. Appositive - Term Paper - Calixpreece sign-up

The Appositive: Learn About It & See How To Diagram It!

These comments were spoken and transcribed. Am I mistaken in any of my conclusions?

This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons.

Independent Clause: This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States.

Restrictive Relative Clause: who are foreigners, aliens,- It also begins a series of four groups: foreigners, aliens, ambassadors or foreign ministers

Non-Restrictive Relative Clause: , who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States,

Subordinate Clause: , but will include every other class of persons.

This amendment which I have offered is simply declaratory of what I regard as the law of the land already, that every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons.

ELLO

A woman [who I know] got hit by a car.

•Antecedent: The expression in an upper clause that is modified by the relative clause.
In our example, the noun woman is the antecedent.

•Relativized element: The element inside the relative clause that refers to the antecedent. If there is a relative pronoun then the relativized element corresponds to the relative pronoun. We usually characterize the relativized element by its function in the relative clause.
In our example, the relativized element is the direct object of the verb know.

•Relative pronoun: The wh-word who is the relative pronoun in our example. The relative pronoun refers to the antecedent. English relative clauses need not contain a relative pronoun, as the following variant of our example shows:

A woman [I know] got hit by a car.

•Relative phrase: The phrase that contains the relative pronoun is the relative phrase. In our example this phrase consists only of the relative pronoun, but there are more complicated cases. In the following examples, the relative phrase is underlined, the relative pronoun in bold face.

A woman [whose husband I know] got hit by a car.

A woman [to whom I talked yesterday] got hit by a car.

ENGLISH-ENGLISH GRAMMAR: COMPLEX SENTENCES WITH ADJECTIVE CLAUSES

C. The Function of a Relative Pronoun

1. A relative pronoun functions as the subject of a predicate when the relative pronoun is followed by a predicate, and such a relative pronoun cannot be omitted.

2. A relative pronoun functions as the object of a predicate containing a verb without a preposition when the relative pronoun is followed by a subject with such a predicate, and such a relative pronoun can be omitted
3. A relative pronoun functions as the object of a predicate containing a verb with a preposition when the relative pronoun is followed by a subject with such a predicate, and such a relative pronoun can be omitted if the preposition is put at the end of a verb.
4. A relative pronoun functions as a possessive adjective when the relative pronoun is used to substitute a pronoun functioning as a possessive adjective.

D. The Use of a Relative Pronoun

1. The relative pronoun which is used with the noun antecedent (a) person (s) preceding it, and which functions as the subject of a predicate is 'who'. Study the following examples:

Relative Clauses

Like wh-questions, relative clauses come in two major types: (1) those that have the relative pronoun as the subject of the clause and (2) those that have the relative pronoun as something other than the subject of the clause (object or complement or object of a preposition).

In addition, relative clauses can be added to nouns in just about any part of a sentence--at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end of sentences. Let's analyze the location and type of relative clause in each of the following sentences:

Last edited by frisco kid; 04-03-2016 at 10:37 PM.