View Single Post

Old 06-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bistander View Post
Hi mbrownn,

I was referring to the machine shown in the video, post #56. So your statement makes no sense to me.
I am referring to the device this thread is about.

Quote:
BEMF is half of the equation for the power converted from mechanical to electrical (generator) or from electrical to mechanical (motor). That conversion power is the generated voltage (BEMF) times the armature current. Without BEMF, a motor would not rotate due to an electric input.
Easy to get confused here as we have both motoring functions and generating functions in the same device, just as you do in a universal type motor, but the positions where BEMF are generated have been reduced. In the last sentence do you mean EMF? It does not make sense to me that BEMF, the force that opposes applied current, is the force that causes a motor to turn.

Quote:
In a properly wound lap armature (or wave wound), all the adjacent wires under a particular field pole conduct current in the same direction. Wires in the armature conducting currents in opposite directions are separated by the wires of coils being commutated which are in the interpolar region where there is little to no flux so they have a minimal influence on torque production. In other words, practically all armature conductors (wires) conducting current contribute to positive torque production.
The interpolar region is exactly where I put the powered field coil, and is the reason for little or no BEMF generation in that coil, but in a wave wound armature all the coils are connected all be it to the brush that may be shorting them, so my field coil will induce an EMF in those coils causing drag. This is why a simple armature with non interconnecting coils is used. Not only that, it also explains why this simple armature produced more torque than a wave wound armature. If the coil is open circuit we have no current and no drag, nor can that coil induce a BEMF in an adjacent coil.

Quote:
Can you define what you mean by "simple armature"? Thanks.
A simple armature is where the coils are connected to commutator bars at 180 degrees mechanical from each other, wound splitting the rotor in half ie 50,50 and are not connected to any other coil on the armature. It is the simplest form of winding an armature, as shown is simple motor explanation diagrams, just as you would expect a person with no motor knowledge to wind. I did post a link to a video on this somewhere but I will post that link here too http://www.energeticforum.com/redire...lpage%23t%3D99

Quote:
Here is a link to a ppt file showing the lap and wave windings. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...96041959,d.cGU
Thanks for posting this link, hopefully people will be able to see what we are discussing and why a lap or wave armature would not perform as well in my device.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding about the armature I use.