View Single Post

Old 04-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Clarence

I needed that because these new technologies seem so different to me especially with this area of the circuit. So what I am learning is that the inverter is connected to these twin primaries and are more like exciter windings.

This is enough of a discovery for today to keep my enjoying this project like a kid nursing his "ALL DAY SUCKER" I really like this one.

I like to isolate circuit functions limb by limb and this is when I noticed how little energy it actually takes to run the toroidal primaries.

On the practical side I much agree, use what works well and keeps the resistance low, it was just that I kept following the circuit around and when I got to the toroidal cores turn ratio I became puzzled.

See the toroid's are my main focus right now and I wanted to figure out the math on how 2 turns CW and CCW might fit with the 2 primaries wound CW and CCW. First I thought hummm... 10awg windings can't be right and thanks to Clarence we KNOW
what the average power handling is and those "SKILLED IN THE ART"
of winding transformers would know how to answer my question.

Next I went to the website where you have shown the transformers
are built and I looked over the standard materials for 60hz power transformer cores. In our case the cores are bigger than normal power transformer cores because these cores are isolation cores.

What that means is that isolation transformers need 2 of the approx same size winding like a primary generally and this takes more room than a normal design.

In a normal design particularly with THEIR 300va 117vac toroidal transformers they put down a primary of 21awg and then a few turns of 18awg to get a 28v-0-28v secondary side. This is a normal 300va step down and takes up less space. That core diameter is approx 3.5 O.D. for regular designs.

Then i noticed the core with windings looked more like a 6" diameter in your device and I see now that the bigger core was needed to get the 2-3 loops of big heavy AWG ott wire through it.

The engineers at Bridgeport I talked to on the phone are nice people and have always answered all of my design questions, I like them for this reason.

Thank you for your quick response Clarence that helps us all to filled in the unknowns of the puzzle. This will help those who have a few even smaller toroidal around to wind their cores properly to get the good results that you have gotten.

I am growing an extra set of eyeballs following this circuit around and back again and when I get a tiger by the tail I don't let up it's plain to see

Mikey

Last edited by BroMikey; 04-15-2015 at 06:20 PM.