View Single Post

Old 03-14-2015, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase0 View Post
could you do an FFT on the data and do a peak hold for a second or so and only save data for each frequency, maybe 64 band pass sections or so of them,
should be way less data to store
I know it is possible, but I hate writing software
Hi spacecase0

I know you are talking to Aaron about these complicated ways of storing data that I don't really know much about, but let me tell you what I did in the 90's. I had a radio program and it used a lot of memory.

I tried all kinds of soft wares an compression formats to store audio or audio and video A/V.

One of the best things I have is a capture card. maybe this is to elemental and you already know this? Some of them are called "All in Wonder" capture cards.

What that card would do for me was amazing. It had built in memory and it could be set to save the file "All compressed" to the small xvid format WHILE it was capturing.

What was a 1gb file was now only a few mgbs. I had some files down to 6mbs for A/V and they looked good. I did work with the "REAL PRODUCER" one time too. It is free from the REAL PLAYER folks. All free.

As long as I had the right capture card installed on my PC (Hardware card) I could do miracles all in one shot. I hooked the camera to the capture card on the back of the PC.

If you look on ebay you can find capture cards with software. Some are not cheap as they have more horse power to compress and store files without lose of data.

I found DivX, Xvid and 264 my favorites. Once you get the settings right you just name the file and pull the trigger. My files were 1 hour or 2 hours long, maybe you can't use that method.

I just had to share that even if you already knew. Then I got a new PC and it does not have a capture card so i really miss the card. The old card was under win98. Way back in the day. I had win95 for a while too.

Mikey