View Single Post

Old 03-13-2015, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Would be cool to datalog the output of the headset jack. My receiver is one that I purchased from Stephen McGreevy last year.

I have Cool Edit Pro - but that would take up way too much space.... has to be something simpler that can be exported to Excel to see a graph.
I dare say that it would theoretically take about the same amount of space. A data logger would take a sample and log the voltage at a certain time interval, usually as text or something which is convenient for importing to Excel. A sound card does exactly the same thing, but the audio program stores the sample voltage as an audio file. I'm not sure what role bit depth plays in this case, but a 8kHz mono audio recording would be like a data logger sampling voltage 8000 times per second. So you would think that the amount of data or file size would be the same if the sample rate is the same.

This can convert data to wave, but what you need is wave to data, unless you just view it in the audio editor, or get some sound card scope software that can log the data as text.

Sound File Write VI - LabVIEW 2012 Help - National Instruments

On a related note, I use a PicoScope which also has data logging function, but the minimum time interval is 30 or 60 seconds so it would be useless in this case. You probably don't need 8000 samples per second but you should be able to input a custom sample rate in Cool Edit Pro to get the file size down and still record a good amount of data.

"Knowledge is cosmic. It does not evolve or unfold in man. Man unfolds to an awareness of it. He gradually discovers it." - Walter Russell

"Once men died for Truth, but now Truth dies at the hands of men." - Manly P. Hall

Last edited by dR-Green; 03-13-2015 at 01:58 AM.