View Single Post

Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 PM

Redesigning Stages #3, #4 and #5, v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyasi View Post
I did not see this right away, but the efficiency of the graphic above can be improved upon. Here is my redesign concept for improving efficiency of transfer between stages #3 and #4.

Take the cylindrical shape of stage #4 and place it inside of stage #3. In other words...

Using these YouTube instructions as a model from which to begin...

world's easiest fastest toroid for tesla coil

...snip...
Another design is to allow the topload on a Tesla coil to spin pivoted onto a ball bearing, such as from a skateboard wheel, rather than using a jeweled bearing, or something similar, from a watt-hour meter. The watt-hour meter uses a white sapphire or diamond on the bottom of a vertical bronze axle (the spinning disk, itself, being made of aluminum).

With a spinning topload - or output terminal - of a Tesla coil, the demagnetized braking magnet can definitely be a 'C' shape surrounding the cross-sectional circularity of the toroidally shaped topload.

The buildup of charge on the topload should get it to spin just like the spin of an aluminum disk in a watt-hour meter.

But I'm still not clear why it spins one way versus the other. All I remember is the definition of the operation of a homopolar generator of Tesla: the disk wants to throw off its buildup of charge by spinning itself. So, its voltage diminishes from its center to its periphery.

The explanation in the handbooks on the subject of watt-hour meters say that spin is imparted to the disk as the result of eddy currents. That doesn't help me understand. I'm still spin-clueless.

Last edited by Vinyasi; 01-03-2015 at 02:12 AM. Reason: clarity and grammar