View Single Post

Old 12-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtner View Post
I, too, have heard this said. But a meter of a particular type, like this, I think:

Overview of Single Phase Induction Type Energy Meter | EEP

It should be possible to work out what is going on. someone said that it had physics in common with the unipolar generator.
Thanks for the tip.

Although I thought I had experimented enough, and because Mr. Lyne said that any make and model of the electro-mechanical watt hour meter will do the job, I stopped experimenting because I was failing to produce results, namely: reaching center of load wherein the aluminum disk stops spinning and hums. According to the Electrical Meterman's Handbook from 1912, this occurs whenever the amperage and voltage are out of phase by 60 degrees (possibly with the current still retaining its leading position ahead of voltage instead of swapped?).

Mr. Lyne said there was only a few requirements: wire the meter backwards such that the line entering from the power source is connected to the load terminals on the meter, and the load wire is connected to the line terminals. The other requirement is to increase the load.

A patent from the 1930s admitted that it was known back then that the aluminum disk slows down around 300% to 400% of rated load for the meter. And this occurs, according to Mr. Lyne, whenever the increasing load is approaching the meter's center of load. The disk will speed up, slow down, stop and hum, and then slowly (at first) speed up in reverse direction as the load is increased. But only if the terminals on the meter are reverse connected to line and load. Various meter handbooks speak of the commonality of meter disks reversing direction merely from swapping terminal connections. This implies that the disk is already reverse spinning (when the terminal connections are swapped) before center of load is reached. So that, once center of load is surpassed with increasing load, then the disk will resume in a spin opposite to its former direction - which will be standardly normal, left to right on the dial!

I loaded up a General Electric I-10 meter from 1910,

General Electric Type I-10

...rated at 5-10 amps, to around 48 amps and no sign of any reduction in speed of disk - let alone humming or reversing. I tried both forward and backwards terminal connections. Plus, I tried various loads: inductive and non-inductive. I was afraid of taking the amperage any higher for fear of overheating the house wiring in the walls.

Maybe I'll try again with the model which you have suggested.