View Single Post

Old 12-02-2014, 03:21 AM

Can someone please translate this for me? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this, for some reason:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)
=========================
1 tesla is equivalent to:
42.6 MHz of the 1H nucleus frequency, in NMR. Thus a 1 GHz NMR magnetic field is 23.5 teslas.
=========================

{EDIT}
Ah, that's the Larmor Frequency... and it should be 42.576 MHz/Tesla for Hydrogen.

I've been researching this, and found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyromagnetic_ratio
In physics, the gyromagnetic ratio (also sometimes known as the magnetogyric ratio in other disciplines) of a particle or system is the ratio of its magnetic dipole moment to its angular momentum, and it is often denoted by the symbol γ, gamma. Its SI unit is the radian per second per tesla (rads−1T -1) or, equivalently, the coulomb per kilogram (Ckg−1).

The gyromagnetic ratio of a nucleus is particularly important because of the role it plays in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). These procedures rely on the fact that bulk magnetization due to nuclear spins precess in a magnetic field at a rate called the Larmor frequency, which is simply the product of the gyromagnetic ratio with the magnetic field strength.

So what we're trying to do is hit the ferromagnetic resonance of the Larmor Frequency for hydrogen. While hydrogen doesn't exhibit classical ferromagnetic properties, it still has a ferromagnetic resonance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetic_resonance
The basic setup for an FMR experiment is a microwave resonant cavity with an electromagnet. The resonant cavity is fixed at a frequency in the super high frequency band. A detector is placed at the end of the cavity to detect the microwaves. The magnetic sample is placed between the poles of the electromagnet and the magnetic field is swept while the resonant absorption intensity of the microwaves is detected. When the magnetization precession frequency and the resonant cavity frequency are the same, absorption increases sharply which is indicated by a decrease in the intensity at the detector.

So basically, we're spinning up the proton by hitting its resonant frequency that corresponds to the short O-H bond, then trying to get the proton to precess *so* much that it deprotonates. In so doing, we sharply increase its absorption cross section, making the process more efficient.

Note that the Larmor Frequency for hydrogen (42.576 MHz per Tesla) is very close to John Keely's stated 42.8 KHz subharmonic.

So to be more effective at breaking the water molecule apart, we should be hitting the water with magnetic flux at the Larmor Frequency (or a subharmonic), and hitting it with voltage pulses at the short O-H bond resonant frequency (or a subharmonic).

That'll get the proton spinning as fast as possible, lengthening the O-H bond. The magnetic flux will make it precess so much that it breaks.

I think... I'm stretching the boundaries of my knowledge here. It'd be great if someone with more knowledge than I have could comment.

Last edited by Cycle; 12-02-2014 at 05:19 AM.